Moving Home Database

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Moving Home Database

Postby Andy2k3 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Just started using HanDBase on the iPad and Desktop.

I am moving home soon, and need to inventory everything, so I can keep track of things.
I have already used another database on the iPad (itemizer), but it seems to have no support any more, so I switched to HanDBase.

I had already started an inventory before the moving home came along, and started with my books.

I need to be able to combine data from more than one database, but am not sure of the best way to do things.

I exported (as CSV) the database of books, edited the fields etc, and came up with a database in HanDBase called Books.
This database lists the book title, author, publisher, isbn code etc etc. The database has 17 fields.

My needs are as follows:

To create a database with basic information about lots of objects/possessions, their approximate size, type of object (Computer/kitchen utensil etc),current location, destined location (both types of location will be from a drop-down list), a Box number (a simple numeric code which will be put on the box the object is packed into), a tickbox to say whether the item has been boxed, and a price per object ( just for insurance purposes)

Some objects obviously already exist - in the Books Database
Some other books have not been entered into the Books database yet.
There are still lots of possessions to go into any database.

In setting up my overall database (call it 'Moving_Home") which will list the items, box number etc, how do I get the current items (from the 'books' database) into the 'Moving_Home' database, whilst still being able to enter further possessions as text.
I will also need to create other databases to be linked to the possessions showing their details.

e.g.

In database 'Moving_Home' the first field will be 'Item'
In database 'Moving_Home' the second field will be 'Category'

In database 'Books' the first field is 'Title'

I want to open database 'Moving_Home', and for the first couple of hundred records, put my books in from database 'Books'
I do not need all the book details in database 'Moving_Home', so some sort of link to the database 'Books' is required.
I will need to enter details of further objects including books into database 'Moving_Home'; when a book is entered into the 'Moving_Home' database, have the text I have entered in the field 'Item' to be added to the database 'Books' field 'Title', so that I can add details to the 'Books' Database later.
I would imagine that selecting 'Book' from a drop-down list in the 'Moving_Home' field 'Category' could act as some sort of trigger to copy the title across to the 'Books' Database.

Of course, I need to add other objects to the 'Moving_Home' database as new records.

Some of these objects will need further information attached, so again, after selecting the appropriate 'Category', I would like the item to be copied to a separate database, so that a more detailed record of it can be kept.

What is the best way to achieve this?
I don't mind killing the 'Books' database, extracting the data and re-entering it (hopefully without doing so manually) and starting it again if that is what is required.
Andy2k3

Re: Moving Home Database

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:58 am

You've got a couple of options:

1. Modify your book database to have additional fields that you can enter items into, such as room, box number, category, etc like you mentioned. Then create custom views to switch between the different categories of items. This will save you the trouble of having to create a new database, but will possibly make a "congested" database that is a combination of a books and inventory database. It would be the simplest, though.

2. Create a "moving" database that includes only the fields related to moving you need, like room, box number, category and so on. You can then also add a DB Popup database that allows you to pull book names from the book database, or you could go a step further and create a relationship between the two. This may be overkill based on your needs, though.

3. Export your books CSV database to Excel. Trim all of the extraneous data except book title. Rename the book title column to Item. Add field names (column titles) for the other relevant fields you want, such as room, box number, category, etc. Save your new CSV file. Generate a new database from that CSV file.

The layout might look like:

Room Box Item Category

The exported version might look like:

Room Box Item Category
Game of Thrones
Princess Bride
Martian

You could then modify the database to add the other information, and even go so far as to create custom views so you can easily switch between room, box and or inventory.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Andy2k3 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks for that.
I think that for now I will go with option 1, and then play around with things to get things the way I really need them after the move, or option 2.
I will give option 2 a go first, to see if it plays nicely, and if there are any issues, then I will just go with option 1, and figure out a more permanent solution after the move - it is a headache as it is.

Thanks for the response, and for providing a system that has support on both the iOS and WIndows; it is a relief to see such a thing.
Andy2k3

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:08 am

Glad to help.

If you have any questions or run into a road block, let us know, please.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion