Category Forms

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Category Forms

Postby qdeath » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:19 pm

I hate to compare, but SmartList2Go had a great feature of a category pull down I am trying to re-create.

When you open the database, there is a category pull down menu with either "All" or the category field value. When selected, only those values with the selected field category would be present.

Is this possible to do within HanDBase? It appears that forms editor only allows the records screen to be modified, can one edit the database screen as well?
Is it possible to add this to the database screen?

On a side note:
There are the same options in HanDBase as SmartList2Go, but the user interface was so much simpler in HanDBase, why not have a simple and an advanced screen in the form designer? (example: tabs were very easy to setup in SmarList, where in HanDBase there needs to be another form designer screen -- seems like a simple/advanced option would make life easier?)
qdeath

Re: Category Forms

Postby uboche » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:51 am

You would do that with Views. When defining a view, you can specify filters that select the records in the database that are part of the view. You can filter on any field you like. Reminds me of SQL :-)
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby qdeath » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:48 am

Can you have 30 filters? It seems the desktop is limited to 6? and the handheld is limited to 20

like a filter for each letter of alphabet
qdeath

Postby curtterp » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:59 pm

qdeath wrote:Can you have 30 filters? It seems the desktop is limited to 6? and the handheld is limited to 20

Without knowing what devices/computer/handbase versions that you have, the question cannot be answered.

You can find the documentation by going to the DDHSoftware website, click on the products tab, then click on the device that you have.

At the bottom of the page should be a link to the pdf version of the users guide. Within the documentation you will find the answers.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby mjhanna » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm

I would probably accomplish this with Forms. You could have 24 buttons (say A-Z) on each of 24 different Forms. The action on each button could be to change to the matching different Form A-Z. Since each Form can have its own Filter Settings, that Form could filter to only show the appropriate records.

Hope this gives you ideas,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby mjhanna » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:17 pm

Rereading your post, possibly you are referring to the existing "Category" setting for each database. A database can optionally be assigned to a (only one) category. Then when you open HanDBase to show the list of databases, that list can either show all databases or only those databases assigned to a specific category. Is this what you are looking for?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby qdeath » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:40 pm

curtterp wrote:
qdeath wrote:Can you have 30 filters? It seems the desktop is limited to 6? and the handheld is limited to 20

Without knowing what devices/computer/handbase versions that you have, the question cannot be answered.

You can find the documentation by going to the DDHSoftware website, click on the products tab, then click on the device that you have.

At the bottom of the page should be a link to the pdf version of the users guide. Within the documentation you will find the answers.

Why make different limits of filters? I guess iPhone is 20 :(
qdeath

Return to HanDBase General Discussion