Use in OpenOffice writer for document assembly

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Use in OpenOffice writer for document assembly

Postby Firetwin2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:55 am

I am new to HanDBase so I apologize in advance. A little about my needs/wants. I use an iPad 2 in the field. I use a MAC at the office. I use OpenOffice exclusively for writing reports, spreadsheets, databases, etc. I have several clients (parent) each with several cases (child) and each case has several hundred data entry values. I seem to be limited on the amount of fields per database to 100 and will need to link/relate those databases to each other. I think I have a pretty good handle on that in the iPad. The problem for me is when I try to get the data onto my MAC in some usable fashion. I can export and make .csv files no problem. I can even use those .csv files to create a new database. Each database in the iPad becomes a separate table in the OpenOffice database. However, the linking that took place in the iPad no longer exists in OpenOffice (i.e. lacking a primary key) and so each table that was created is a stand alone item within the database. As a result I am unable to create a query that would pull a single record across all databases for use in report generation. I have considered using the spreadsheet method with cutting and pasting but that seems prone to error and somewhat defeats my goal of automation.

In a nutshell, I want to create a usable data entry front end for field use on the iPad that can then be used in OpenOffice on the MAC to generate reports against a single case. Is there an easy way to make this happen or am I stuck with convoluted work arounds?
Firetwin2

Re: Use in OpenOffice writer for document assembly

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:29 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

At present you'll have to use CSV as an intermediary file format for exchanging data between the two database formats. Unfortunately there is no communicating or compatibility between HanDBase and OpenOffice formats.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Firetwin2 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:50 pm

A CSV would work if I could somehow tie all the databases together on the back end. Is there an easiest way to do that? I see that there is a unique HanDBase assigned number but I am unsure how to relate those back, not only to the case but to each other whether in Excel, OpenOffice or some other acceptable format. As it stands I have a parent database (client), a child database (cases), and several grand-children databases (these could be one-to-one with the child or the child itself except there are not enough fields available). Ultimately I would like to say, in whatever format possible, give me all the data attached to Case #1. This would include the parent, the case (child singly) and all the grand-children (individual databases with information unique to each case). Is that doable given my current configuration or will I need to scrap this plan? Thanks for the input.
Firetwin2

Postby mjhanna » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:25 pm

I would suspect that there is no easy way to do this. However, there might be a more indirect but possible way. DDHSoftware does offer a Windows program option to convert HandDBase files to MS Access files. Will the OpenOffice programs import MS Access files? Not sure this would work, but this two-step process might be worth exploring?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby curtterp » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:52 pm

mjhanna wrote:I would suspect that there is no easy way to do this. However, there might be a more indirect but possible way. DDHSoftware does offer a Windows program option to convert HandDBase files to MS Access files. Will the OpenOffice programs import MS Access files? Not sure this would work, but this two-step process might be worth exploring?

He has a Mac which Microsoft does not offer Access for
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby curtterp » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Firetwin2 wrote:A CSV would work if I could somehow tie all the databases together on the back end. Is there an easiest way to do that? I see that there is a unique HanDBase assigned number but I am unsure how to relate those back, not only to the case but to each other whether in Excel, OpenOffice or some other acceptable format. As it stands I have a parent database (client), a child database (cases), and several grand-children databases (these could be one-to-one with the child or the child itself except there are not enough fields available). Ultimately I would like to say, in whatever format possible, give me all the data attached to Case #1. This would include the parent, the case (child singly) and all the grand-children (individual databases with information unique to each case). Is that doable given my current configuration or will I need to scrap this plan? Thanks for the input.

Easiest way to figure out what the unique numbers are relating to:
Start with a copy of your database with no records. Easiest way to do this is to make a copy of each database:
  • Click on the Create New Database
  • Click on Existing Template
  • Click on the Database you want to make a copy of
  • Click on Open
  • Put a new name (I would say copy of **********
  • Click on the Save link (Upper Righthand Corner)\
  • Click on Back twice

**NOTE** You will need to open up the properties and change the links to the new copy of the database.

Make a couple of records, no more than 5 records
Export them out to .csv files.
Open all the .csv files, and note where the unique numbers match. That gives you the template for your queries. The unique numbers are your primary keys

I don't know anything about OpenOffice, since I use Microsoft Office on my Mac's, so I can't help you with query building.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase General Discussion