Month Calculator

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Month Calculator

Postby glenwf » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:55 pm

I reviewed your month calculator and was wondering about moving data between databases. It seems that there ought to be a way to submit something, a date in this case from a database to the Month Calculator and have it return an answer. That would avoid having to duplicate the work in any database that you wanted to use it in. Linking maybe???

Apparently this isn't possible or you would have suggested it, but is it in the wish list. I know there have been several times I wanted to do this for different reasons. Nothing like asking for the impossible to make your day I'm sure. I'm already very grateful for what you already supply.

Thanks.
glenwf

Re: Month Calculator

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:13 am

Hi,

Which database are you referring to?

As far as pulling values from one database to another, you can use relationship and db popup field types for this.

It is not possible to send a value to another database, have a calculation performed on it and then have a value returned at this time.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby glenwf » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:53 am

The Database I'm referring to is "Month Calculator". It doesn't really matter, but it does sound like I could... "use relationship and db popup field" in database 1 and 2.

Then from database 2, enter a number in a field, go to database 1 (month calc) grab the number in database 1 and calculate the month of the year and save that. Then go back into database 2 and grab the answer to the month calc and get the answer to from the month calculator. That would be easier, though not as elegant as entering all the coding into the database wanting the answer to the calculation.

I have tried relationships only once or twice before, but maybe now is a good time to try. Funny thing about that database, the only way I could find "Month Calculator" was from a link in a discussion of that subject. Why isn't it in the general library?

Thanks.
glenwf

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:17 am

Uploads to the gallery are generally done by the author. If it was one Dave created, I'm sure it was just an oversight. We don't add databases done by individual users unless requested by that user, however, as it would become a large time challenge keeping each of them updated properly.

Based on your description, you could indeed use a DB Popup to select a value and then use a relationship to the month calculator to return a value based on the initial text selected. If you need help with this, let me know.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion