Multiple user. Shared database.

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Multiple user. Shared database.

Postby Treanot » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:45 pm

That is simple.
I am using multiple Ios devices to data capture to a shared inventory database. What I would like to do is be able to identify from what device the data came from In the form of a unique letter assigned to the Device (for example Device 1 is A, Device 2 is B. I'm already generating an increased number for data control and I am currently added the ios device to the end (ie 1A, 2B, etc). There are several issues with this way of doing control Id numbers on multiple Devices but that is another forum discussion. Why do I need this? It shows what user did the update to the master inventory.
The problem is when the units get Sync the Device ID field is Synced and overwritten with the last current change. The user needs to go into a "maintenance" submenu and manual assign there Device ID.
Any suggestions on how to correct work around this issue?
I just brainstormed that I could rename the Devices, and truncate a Photoname field. Those fields contain the Device name plus a series of numbers to identify the photo. This means I need to rename the actual iOS devices. Not bad idea. Any others not sure if I was clear. Typing while working. Thanks.

* The issue is the Photoname is the name of the database file then the iPhone device then a series of numbers. Somehow I woukd need to remove the database name portion of the field name.

New edit
Or I set up another database that is not shared and Link it to the original. Thus database ID would have one entry the device Id. This is not shared thus it's not overwritten but the shared database links to it. (Shared database to no shared database) This way the ID only ever needs to be set once, and not on the user level.
Last edited by Treanot on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treanot

Re: Multiple user. Shared database.

Postby Treanot » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:40 pm

Tested grabbing just one letter from a text field. It seems you can only truncate a text field from left to right setting max characters allowed (example "sample" - max character allowed set to 2 - will give you "sa"). This is simple done having two fields. The 1st field is an text input the 2nd field takes the default value of field 1 then sets the input w/max to a lower number.
Anybody know a way to say grab the 3rd letter only? For my case I can still rename the device. Just seeing if I'm missing something. Actually two questions now in this thread.
Treanot

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:12 am

Two things to consider:

1. Add a "user" popup field, where each person can select his or her name or unique identifier you assign to them. This would stamp each record. If you wanted, you could set a default person on each device so it automatically populates to the correct identifier per person. Note that you or the person using the device would need to make this small modification in the field settings of the popup field you use.

2. Add an actual signature field, requiring the person to physically sign each record.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Treanot » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:33 pm

Thank you for the response. The popup is a very good idea but it would need to be reassigned each time the devices are synced since it would overwrite a the previous changed popup (at least I think it would). I found that having an external non synced database with a single relationship to the first entry seem to work for me. The user never needs to change or input there Id. Thanks again.
Treanot

Return to HanDBase General Discussion