Counting

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Counting

Postby Treanot » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 pm

Again pretty simple.
No issues increasing a running count in the main database.
My concern is when sharing a database that is used with multiple devices. The most current device, usually with the higher number, automatically increases the running count for all devices. Thus device A has 1 , 2 ,3. Device B has 1,2. When the devices are sync. The count on B increases to 4 (the next run count) because the count in on the main database and is considered universal. Now you have multiple running count "Id" numbers. I sort is solved his by having a relationship field in a no shared database that contain a unique letter for hsr device which is added to the end of the running count Id. At least in case of duplicate there is a way to match (1A, 2A , 1B, 2B)
Back to point. If one device is used more often (device A) and the other device is not (device B). The possibilities of large
Number gaps is possible or sporadic numbering (example 1B 2B (Device B not used but Device A is) then B could be 10B 11B. Whatever Device A last running count value. Notice gab in numbering for B.
So not sure of this solution but any one way i though is to have he running total in another database that is not shared. It doesn't seem that a "relationship" would work (more of a live view). Not sure how to work this out. This should be invisible to the users. Suggestions please.
Treanot

Re: Counting

Postby mjhanna » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:02 pm

Haven't tried it, but my first thoughts would be to have separate "record number" databases for each device, and use the features of a Form button. I would experiment with the "Jump to Form in Other DB" action with its various "Which Record" options, especiall "Open Last Record or Create". When you want to add a new record there might be a way to first jump to a Form in this device's "record number" database which would then create the "next" record with an incremental "record number". Then there might be a way to jump back to an "add record" Form in the shared DB which would access and store the device's new number in its new record via some kind of relationship or link. Just some ideas to try.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:09 am

My suggestion is to have a database with a device ID or code that you incorporate with the count, to keep track of which device is increasing the value. At this time there isn't another way to implement this setup.

If you need a sample, please let me know.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Treanot » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:36 pm

This is on the back burner for a bit but I will get back to it. Thanks for the tips.
Treanot

Postby Treanot » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi Brian
I private messaged you but maybe a sample might help other users out there also.
Thanks
George
Treanot

Return to HanDBase General Discussion