Cannot open database

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Cannot open database

Postby mcalex » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Looking through the posts in this forum, I see this problem was discussed some time ago, but I don't see any conclusion that would help me.

I have a rather large database (more than 23,000 records) that I use on a regular basis. I was using it today and at one point the HanDBase app just exited. When I brought it up again and tried to reopen the database, I received the message "Error / Database Open Not Permitted on this Database".

I gather from what I've read here that the database has somehow been corrupted. What I don't see here is what I can do about it. Is there some way I can "un-corrupt" the database?

I do use iCloud backup, the most recent being from a couple of days ago. Presumably, earlier versions of the database would be there. But I have no idea how to recover the most recent one. Can someone explain what I must do, or refer me to a description of the process?

I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Stratton McAllister
Stratton McAllister
73357.3046@compuserve.com
mcalex

Re: Cannot open database

Postby DorothyD » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm hoping that Brian will have an answer for you. I'm just another HanDBase user.

If you want to restore from an iCloud backup, here are Apple's instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

The only thing Apple supports for restoring from iCloud is to erase your device and restore everything from iCloud. Everything will be set back to the date of your backup. I believe that several backup versions are saved, and you do get to choose which one. There is a third-party app for Macs or PCs, iExplorer by Macroplant, which supports restoring single files in some cases. It works best if you've backed up the device to your computer using iTunes. But, according to the Macroplant website, the Mac version, but not the PC version, can restore single files from iCloud. I own the Mac version of iExplorer, but have not tried using it for this purpose.

It sounds like you do not have HanDBase Desktop, which would also have backed up the databases to your computer. I hope you can find a solution!
DorothyD

Postby DorothyD » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:04 pm

I just tried my iExplorer, looking at my iPad, and I don't see a way to access an iCloud backup. It appears that it will restore documents that one has stored on iCloud, such as Pages documents, but not the iCloud device backup itself. You might ask Macroplant about that, though.
DorothyD

Postby curtterp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:03 am

There is a possible way, but it is not accessible from the iDevice. There is a way to look at and possibly restore from the web.

Check this link
http://www.macrumors.com/how-to/recover ... in-icloud/

This may/may not help in your situation.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby uboche » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:17 am

I'm a long time HanDBase user (started with Palm gadgets many years ago), now using an iPad. I've always found the backup method of syncing to the HanDBase desktop on a PC extremely reliable. If you're syncing regularly, you can always fall back to a number of backup versions which, in almost all cases, allows you to recover at least most of your data.

A cloud not only is high up in the sky, it also isn't very transparent usually ;)

Regards,
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:55 am

Your best option would be to see if you can use one of the many third party extraction tools. We have had many people report success with the software available at iphonebackupextractor.com

We would also encourage local backups, using either one of our optional desktop addons or desktop connect, so you have a copy on your local computer.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby uboche » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:54 pm

I have iPhonebackupextractor V.6.0.7 on my PC (Windows). It can extract files from an iPad backup as well. My backups are on the PC and I can see and extract HanDBase databases from the latest backup. The program claims to be able to extract files from iCloud backups as well, but I can't test this because I don't use the iCloud for backup.

I'm using the unregistered version. To be able to recover from the iCloud, it might be necessary to buy and register the product, but that's just a guess.

Regards,
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby kou » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:18 pm

Here are steps show you how to recover data from iOS backup via iCloud.
Step 1. Turn on your device. You need to erase all of your iPhone content before you can use these steps to restore from your backup.
Step 2. Go to the Apps & Data screen
Step 3. Tap Restore from iCloud Backup on the Apps & Data screen
Step 4. Sign into your iCloud account
Step 5. Select a iCloud backup. You need to view the date and size of each and pick the most recent one.

You should keep your iPhone staying connected to Wi-Fi in the whole transferring process.
kou

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch