Linking records as a group?

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Linking records as a group?

Postby jfh » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:32 am

I have a set of databases to manage season tickets. The main databases:

1) Partners
2) Games
3) Tickets

I have multiple seat locations per game. For discussion say there are
Section 1 row 2 seats 3,4,5,6
Section 2 row 4 seats 7,8

Right now the tickets database has 1 record per ticket, so in the example 6 records per game. Each ticket has an owner field which is a DB relationship to the partners database. Assume all seats for a particular location for a particular game are assigned to the same partner, so if you have game #7 in Section 1 you have seats 3,4,5,6.

Right now, I have to update each individual ticket record with the owner. I would like to be able to update one record with the owner and have the owner field in the other three records update. Is there a way to do that?

I had thought of creating a location database so the hierarchy is
Games
Locations
Tickets

Using the example above, the location database would have a record for section 1 and one for section 2 for each game.

but I'm hoping there is a way to link groups of records together with my existing structure.
jfh

Re: Linking records as a group?

Postby mjhanna » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:58 am

It is not clear what your exact requirements are, but I would suggest you review "DB Popup" fields, especially the "Group" feature. Not sure how I might implement this, but it is the only "grouping" feature I can think of in HanDBase. It groups fields from the same record, not multiple records, but there might be a way to re-configure your databases to make use of this. Maybe a separate database of records which define all the meaningful groupings of tickets, so linking to one of those records would link to all those appropriate tickets?

Hope this gives you ideas,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby jfh » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:16 am

Each ticket record has a name field to indicate who got the tickets. What I would like to do is have all of the name fields for all of the tickets for that game updated if any of them are updated. So, instead of having to edit 4 ticket records and select the name each time I select it in the first record and it auto populates in the other three.

I have 4 records in a logical group:

Date. Section Row Seat Owner. Other fields

4/1. 123. 11 1. Unassigned
4/1. 123. 11 2. Unassigned
4/1. 123. 11 3 Unassigned
4/1. 123. 11 4. Unassigned

If I change the owner of the record that is seat 3 to "Jones", I want records for seats 1,2,4 to get Jones too.
jfh

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:30 am

Hi,

How can HanDBase know what other records are in the same group? Is there a field you have set up to filter these seats to be part of a certain group? Perhaps there is a link/linked relationship and these are the ones with linked fields?

Trying to get a full picture before I try to offer any suggestions!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby jfh » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:49 pm

I don't know how Handbase can tell what records are in the same group ... That's why I posted the question. :)

The only way I could think of was to create a third database - Locations - with one record for each set of tickets that has an owner field - that the tickets db would use to populate owner.

But I was hoping for a way I could do it without having to create another db. If there isn't a way to do it in the existing structure, I may just have to live with the hassle of updating every ticket record individually.
jfh

Return to HanDBase General Discussion