Syncing between Device and Desktop iOS without Desktop runni

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Syncing between Device and Desktop iOS without Desktop runni

Postby fritzmom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:16 am

Hi All

I've done a search but either I'm not using the right words or no one else has asked this before.

Have an iPod Touch, latest version running HanDBase iOS platform.
Have the latest HanDBase Professional for Windows platform.

To sync between the iDevice and Desktop I have to open HanDBase on my iDevice and 'click' on the sync symbol. Then I have to open HanDBase on the Desktop and get to the sync screen. Then I have to 'enter' from that desktop screen in order to initiate a sync between the two. My question is can a conduit be developed for the Desktop that would allow syncing WITHOUT HanDBase to be opened on the Desktop?

I ask because I have a Task Manager app (Appigo's ToDo) that can sync with my Outlook even if Outlook is not running. I can create a task or make changes to a task on my iDevice then sync and next time I open Outlook the new or modified task is there. Unfortunately there is no way to initiate a sync between the two from Outlook!! What would be wonderful would be the ability to sync between the iDevice and the Desktop as is now and from the iDevice even if the Desktop HanDBase is closed.

Thanks
Barb
fritzmom

Re: Syncing between Device and Desktop iOS without Desktop r

Postby dhaupert » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Barb,

Thanks for your post. Though HanDBase doesn't yet offer it, it's definitely technically possible. There are several ways programs can do this- one popular way is to have a small utility that runs on the desktop and is always looking for a connection. When it senses a connection it then launches the conduit. The reason I didn't go with this option was a personal conviction of mine. I personally don't like having all of those utilities running on my machine. Almost every time I boot up my windows laptop I'm told that Adobe has an update, my printer drivers have an update, etc. They are all running these resource sucking utilities in the background and it drives me crazy!

I do see the benefit of it however for some things and I can see the benefit of HanDBase being updated transparently and frequently since I see first hand that many people don't sync as often as they should! I am actually at work at a cloud based sync for iPhone that would make this possible- hoping to launch this product in the coming months and it will hopefully suit your needs for automatic background syncing!
dhaupert

Postby fritzmom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Dave and Thanks for the quick response.

I'd much prefer using just Wi-Fi syncing; so far I haven't used the 'cloud' for anything but I think that I'm quickly becoming one of the minority!

But yes, as much as I try to sync often, I too don't sync as often as I really should just because it's almost too much of a hassle to physically go to the computer and fire up HanDBase in order to sync, plus I have to remember to have my Touch with me. As I get older those grey cells get slower and seem to have a harder time remembering what I want to do :lol:

What ever you decide to go with though, will be appreciated.

Thanks
Barb
fritzmom

Postby LarryR » Fri May 23, 2014 11:32 am

dhaupert wrote: I am actually at work at a cloud based sync for iPhone that would make this possible- hoping to launch this product in the coming months and it will hopefully suit your needs for automatic background syncing!

Hi, Dave,

Longtime user going back to the Palm days. I was discouraged to read your comment that cloud syncing was still months away. You've been saying this for the better part of two years.

I realize DDH Software is not a big company and that you're stretched thin trying to support so many different platforms. However, these days cloud syncing is everywhere. I'm to the point where I might have to switch database platforms because of the inability to sync between devices.

I'm aware of the "workarounds," but the ease of other programs to sync via the cloud seamlessly is making it more and more difficult to tolerate the additional hassle. I would gladly give up some features to be able to sync easily.

As a longtime user (how long ago was the Palm version—10 years?), I would hate to have to switch to another product, but that's becoming a distinct possibility.

Best regards,

LarryR
LarryR

Postby dhaupert » Fri May 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi,

Sorry to disappoint you with the news. I understand what you're saying and fully realize that for you it's a very key feature.

I would love to talk to you privately about this so please email me at my address below!
dhaupert

Postby dah34 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:24 am

Hi,

I'm also greatly in need of a cloud syncing solution. I would love to be able to store my database in the cloud and have the ability to sync from a mobile device without having to be back at my PC. Any timeline for this?

Dan
dah34

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:40 am

Hi Dan,

I have had a number of "False Starts" on this- I have had very limited time to work on it recently but when this was still a full time job for me I spent some time working out a solution, each time no satisfied with the speed or flexibility. There are so many ways to implement this, from something like a file level sync, to a record level sync but done when files are not opened, to allowing record level sync on the fly so multiple users could edit a database at the same time and all stays in sync. I know the last one is the panacea but it's also a huge time commitment which I unfortunately don't have to give right now.

I had finally settled on using Parse as a backend and began development a few months ago when Facebook announced they were shutting it down. Glad I did not go too far down that road!

At any rate, there are no definitive plans or release dates at this point but it's something I personally would like to have and hope to one day fulfill this dream!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby edwin2011 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:49 am

Still a sympathize with fritzmom for a wifi sync solution that would run automatically or could be solo triggered from the handheld (phone, tablet)
I've got also a outlook solution but for Android (vcorganize).
Problem at this point is that I have to remember to do all different synces for different apps. (where are the simple palm days, just on sync to start and everything was in sync)
So my best aim is to start a sync from the phone via Tasker but at this point it won't work with handbase because I have to sync from desktop after I first have to start sync on handheld.
I can live with that but still would be nice.
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Return to HanDBase General Discussion