Dropbox

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Dropbox

Postby timvsx » Sat May 14, 2016 11:34 am

A couple of things. I cannot get anything to download from Dropbox to Handbase.

I cannot even creat a new record in a data base and have it appear in Handbase.

Any ideas ? It is something I am doing or not doing. This just started today and
Is causing me a lot of grief. I am on a iPad with current iOS
timvsx

Re: Dropbox

Postby curtterp » Sun May 15, 2016 11:47 am

timvsx wrote:A couple of things. I cannot get anything to download from Dropbox to Handbase.

I cannot even creat a new record in a data base and have it appear in Handbase.

Any ideas ? It is something I am doing or not doing. This just started today and
Is causing me a lot of grief. I am on a iPad with current iOS

I played around with Dropbox and my iPhone and didn't have a problem with opening up a test database. I even made changes with the Desktop on my Mac to the database on Dropbox and it synced the changes on my iPhone.

I then went to my iPad and had all sorts of problems with getting any changes on my iPad with the same database that worked on the iPhone. Not sure what is happening, but I definitely was not able to see the changes on the iPad. I was able to use the open in command with Dropbox to bring it over to the iPad (which is the same way I was bringing the database to the iPhone), but the changes were not there.

I am using an iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Pro 9.7, and Mac Mini. Both iDevices are running iOS 9.3.1 and the Mac Mini is running OS X 10.11.4. Dropbox is the latest version on both iDevices.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby uboche » Sun May 15, 2016 2:40 pm

If I use HanDBase Sync between my Windows PC and my iPad, databases are synced on record level. That means I can change a database on both systems and the changes get merged. If I sync a database between two systems via Dropbox, the latest version of the database is made available on both systems. This means if I made changes on both systems, the earlier changes are lost. Correct?

Regards,
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 am

@ Tim and Curt,

Try force quitting HanDBase (sliding up on from the list of thumbnails) and THEN attempt to open a database from Dropbox into HanDBase.

@ Uboche,

When using Dropbox, the file that is downloaded does not overwrite the version already on the device. The records of the incoming database are checked against the contents of the current database and are then merged. You will not lose any existing data, but will gain the records of the incoming database.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion