Backup iPhone with no wireless network

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Backup iPhone with no wireless network

Postby pslates » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:09 am

I have used the HanDBase program for years for my computer related work inventory. In the past I would backup my iPhone database to my Windows desktop via the university WiFi where I worked and about once a year used the backed up files in Windows to import into Excel to create a report. These days for security reasons I am no longer able to sync my database to the desktop via the WiFi and so I wonder other thank doing this at my home and accessing the files via the web is there any non WiFi way to access the database files from my Windows 10 computer. I wondered if someone I plugged in my iPhone to the computer via USB if I could somehow access the files. I have also backed up my phone to the cloud for a long time so I am looking for a way to be able to create Excel reports with this data.
pslates

Re: Backup iPhone with no wireless network

Postby uboche » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I have an iPad so things might be different. If I sync my iPad with iTunes via USB and then, within iTunes, go into the "Apps" view, one of the apps listed below the images of the iPad Home Screens is HandBase. When I click on this entry, all my PDB databases are listed. I can select databases and have them stored locally on the PC, the folder can be selected in the menu that appears. Would that help? Of course you can't sync the databases with desktop versions that way.

If you would be able to use a LAN in place of Wifi, there is a startup company that is building an Ethernet adapter for iPhones with a Lightning socket. iOS 10 seems to support the adapter. Speed will be up to 100 Mbit/sec.The startup company's name is "Rebotnix", based in Germany. The price appears to be around EUR 100. I have no connection with the company and no idea when the adapter will be on the market. Sounds interesting, though. There's an article in c't 17/2016, Germany's foremost computer magazine.

Regards,
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby curtterp » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:22 am

pslates wrote:I have used the HanDBase program for years for my computer related work inventory. In the past I would backup my iPhone database to my Windows desktop via the university WiFi where I worked and about once a year used the backed up files in Windows to import into Excel to create a report. These days for security reasons I am no longer able to sync my database to the desktop via the WiFi and so I wonder other thank doing this at my home and accessing the files via the web is there any non WiFi way to access the database files from my Windows 10 computer. I wondered if someone I plugged in my iPhone to the computer via USB if I could somehow access the files. I have also backed up my phone to the cloud for a long time so I am looking for a way to be able to create Excel reports with this data.

You can do this via Dropbox or OneDrive. I would stay away from Google Drive because there are some issues with it and HanDBase.

I am assuming that you have a Dropbox or OneDrive account, and the Dropbox or OneDrive app on your iPhone.

To put it out on Dropbox, open HanDBase on the iPhone.
From the database selector screen:
*File Cabinet - Press on the database, then press "Open in"
*Modern - Press on the three dots to the right of the database, then press "Open in"
Here you have a decision, using a HanDBase data file or CSV file. Since you are going to pull into Excel, I would suggest pressing the csv file to eliminate a step or two in the process.
The share screen comes up. Swipe until you see DropBox or OneDrive, and Press on it.
*DropBox - You can save to Dropbox top level here, or press on Choose a Different folder to put it in a folder on DropBox
*OneDrive - You can upload to the top level of OneDrive here, or press on Files to choose a folder to put it into

On your computer, navigate to Dropbox/OneDrive on the web, sign in and then navigate to where you put the file and download it. If you downloaded Dropbox or OneDrive to your computer, then navigate to the folder you set up for DropBox or OneDrive. If the file is not there yet, then perform a sync for DropBox or OneDrive and the file will show up.

Now you can open the file in Excel to create your reports.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:40 am

You can also use the iTunes app on your computer to backup and install files from/to HanDBase. Plug your device into your computer via the usb/lightning cable and launch iTunes. Go to the section labeled apps and scroll down past the list of apps on the screen to the File Sharing section. In this section you should see HanDBase listed. When you click it, you'll get a list of databases installed to HanDBase which you can then save to your computer via the save button. Keep these in a safe place!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase General Discussion