transfer forms to iPad?

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

transfer forms to iPad?

Postby glenwf » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Well, I guess iPads can't deal with zip files (no answer to my previous question), so I used my HandBase function to serve the file and form to the iPad using the iPhone's "Desktop Connect" in HandBase". That creates a web page the iPad can see and download the file.

Once the database is transferred to the iPad, it opens ok, but there is no form associated with it. Checked as many options as I could find and can't find any reason why the iPad refuses to get the form associated with the database.

And, yes, I did pay the $5.00 to install forms on the iPad. In fact, in the database I can go to the forms page, but there are no forms associated with the database - there is a form when it is on the iPhone.

Can't the iPad accept forms from anything???
glenwf

Re: transfer forms to iPad?

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:00 pm

Hey Glen,

Could you direct me to the gallery entry where the forms and zip file are so I can try on my end? That will definitely help me figure out where things may have gone wrong and hopefully find a solution for you!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby glenwf » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Pick any database that has a form and the form and the database (2 separate files) are in a zip file because I believe it isn't possible to post more than 1 file associated with a submission to the gallery.

1. When I select a database with a form (in a zip file), the iPad doesn't know what to do with it. I've tried a couple zip programs and they seem to want to use the iCloud which I have avoided. So, I download them on my laptop, unzip them, email them to myself, and install them to my iPhone. and then try to port them over to the iPad, but the only thing that comes over is the database without the form.

What procedure does a person use if they have only device, and that is the iPad? Seems like it would still import only the database without the form from the iCloud. I'm trying to help a person in the forum in the UK that has only the iPad and I've been experimenting without success. Now, I'm just curious and frustrated also that I can't port any database to my wife"s iPad and have the form port over as well. I have the Movie Jukebox from the public list from a while ago I was going to experiment with but it doesn't seem to be there any more, so I did the same transfer from my iPod direct to the iPad suing the Deaktop Connect on my iPhone to the iPad and again all that gets across is the database and not the form.

Sorry, just frustrated which is unusual using HandBase which says a lot for HandBase, so thanks for that.
glenwf

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 am

Hey Glen,

So sorry for the delayed reply on this. I wanted to take some time to look in the code and honestly remember what exactly I did already implement in this regard! I honestly couldn't remember adding support to parse a zip file attachment in any version of HanDBase, though it's always been on my wish list to do. When I looked, indeed, there is no code for parsing zip files in HanDBase at all. So I imagine anything you see being done is either handled by the OS or your email/web browser app.

Longer term my plan with HanDBase is to support a bundle of files sent as a zip. So you could attach one or more dbs, forms, and related images and files into a zip file and distribute them- when sent to HanDBase it would parse out the zip file and receive each file one by one. I'd also like to make a packager/bundler within the app so you can choose a database and it would package up all related databases, forms, and image files into a zip file to send. But none of this is currently implemented.

With regards to your issue installing one by one- perhaps the forms file doesn't have a form that has the start form specified for an iPad? Please double check that and/or email it to me directly so I can take a look!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPad