Best way to backup Password protected DB w encrypted field?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Best way to backup Password protected DB w encrypted field?

Postby sasanders » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:02 pm

I have a password protected database with lots of records and one or two fields are encrypted.

I'm worried I'll forget the password or worried it will become corrupt at some point in the future (both have happened before)

What is the best way to back it up?
sasanders

Re: Best way to backup Password protected DB w encrypted fie

Postby curtterp » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:06 pm

sasanders wrote:I have a password protected database with lots of records and one or two fields are encrypted.

I'm worried I'll forget the password or worried it will become corrupt at some point in the future (both have happened before)

What is the best way to back it up?

My personal favorite way to backup any HanDBase database is to sync with the HanDBase Desktop. Every time you sync, it creates another backup up to the number of backups in the preferences have been reached, then it deletes the oldest backup. The only drawback on this method, is that you need to be at the computer to sync over WiFi because you cannot start the sync from the device.

You can email the database to yourself as an attachment. The drawback is that you have to send an email for each of your databases you want to back up, you can chew up some of your data plan, and you might run into an issue with your email provider if the databases are huge.

No matter which way you choose, remember to backup often and keep mulitple backups.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby sasanders » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:32 am

Thank you for the response. I try to remember to sync/backup my data to my laptop at least once a month.

For me, the bummer is that I apparently can't access the password/encrypted fields on the laptop. Unless there's something missing? Ideally, I could also open these databases on my laptop, type in the password and be able to view the encrypted fields as well. Any suggestions?
sasanders

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:42 am

Hi,

Are you using the Mac desktop version? If so, indeed, there is no support for encrypted fields yet on that platform. But the windows version supports this fully and you should be able to find a download to use a special build of the Windows app that runs on your Mac under the download page of software you registered for on our site: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download

Look for the Wine version and install that- it's much more full featured, if a bit out of place on a Mac!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby sasanders » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:59 am

ok, I have the Wine version installed but now it's asking for a license key.
I tried the one for my Mac version but that didn't work.
Now what?
sasanders

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 am

Please send me an email at support @ ddhsoftware . com and I'll help you get set up with the WINE version.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch