Relations to other tables

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Relations to other tables

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure if this topic has been already brought up, but I need to setup a database of my expenses per project and per items. I would need to be able to add projects in future and also items - I have about 50 of them now. I was thinking to have 3 tables - 1st is with the table of my expenses, 2nd with the list of my projects, and 3rd with the list of my items.

My main table would include:
Date, Amount Paid, Project (I would need to choose it from the list of the projects in Projects table), Item ( I would need to choose it from the list of the items in Items table), and notes.

How would I set it up?
I tried to do it through relationship field type, but when I'm adding new record in the main table, I am actually being asked to input the data but not choose it from the list, which is stored in another table.

Thank you very much. Eugene
Eugene

Re: Relations to other tables

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 am

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your post. The DB Popup field type is what you use to be able to select a record from a different table and it would be ideal to choose a Project from the Expenses table, or an item. Here's a tutorial for the DB Popup field type, which you can check out and help you set up your design:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=253

Let us know if you need any additional help!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase General Discussion