UI Improvements

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: UI Improvements

Postby glenwf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:00 pm

You didn't see this post I don't think, but I think it qualifies for UI update, especially the confusing text choice.

Importing CSV files into a new database is not confusing and I get the first line input as field names.

Importing CSV files into a current database, it gives the directions (see attached screen shot) and two ways to import them so the first line in the file is data or field names.

I always choose the button "Field Names" and the end result is the first line becomes the first line of my data and I have no field names.

Then I have to do the process over again and this time pick "Record of Data" button and that brings in the CSVs with the first line of data becoming the Field Names.

I think those buttons are not labeled correctly, or you all think different that I do. Does anybody else agree with me?

The window should be more specific and have two options and forget the paragraph above which is confusing.
Button = import first line as field names
Button = import first line as first line of data
\
Thanks.
glenwf

Postby ArGiEs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:52 pm

I just happened to think of an improvement: a HanDBase "night mode". I use HB at night on a regular basis, and the white background is a bit of a strain past a certain label of low light. Informant v. 5 has a dark mode that works fairly well at night, it's a lot easier on the eyes. That would be much appreciated (by me at least)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby glenwf » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: reducing the brightness of the screen issue.

You might be able to solve your problem if you don't use the "triple click" of the "HOME" button for anything else. I use this all the time for this purpose. I triple click the home button and the screen changes to a lower brightness. Triple click again and it returns to full brightness. Granted, I have a iPod Touch 5 which does not have auto detect of ambient light, but the directions indicate it for all iOS 8 and it works for me in iOS 9.3.

Would be nice to attach a PDF because this tip tends to get moved from time to time. Look here:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro ... ing-trick/

If that doesn't work, Google "Pro tip: Dim your iOS screen with an accessibility setting trick"

Hope this helps
glenwf

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:17 pm

glenwf wrote:You didn't see this post I don't think, but I think it qualifies for UI update, especially the confusing text choice.

Importing CSV files into a new database is not confusing and I get the first line input as field names.

Importing CSV files into a current database, it gives the directions (see attached screen shot) and two ways to import them so the first line in the file is data or field names.

I always choose the button "Field Names" and the end result is the first line becomes the first line of my data and I have no field names.

Then I have to do the process over again and this time pick "Record of Data" button and that brings in the CSVs with the first line of data becoming the Field Names.

I think those buttons are not labeled correctly, or you all think different that I do. Does anybody else agree with me?

The window should be more specific and have two options and forget the paragraph above which is confusing.
Button = import first line as field names
Button = import first line as first line of data
\
Thanks.

Glen, thanks for the post. Appreciate the followup as well. This thread was started for an iOS update though, so this one doesn't really apply to what I'm working on this month. It's quite valid though as an update to the Mac version, which I still hope to work on in the coming months! I will definitely investigate and make sure it works as designed but it sounds like maybe the buttons are backwards? The question and answers seem straightforward- if you select field names, it should ignore the first line and import the rest of the data but it sounds like you are seeing the opposite.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:20 pm

ArGiEs wrote:I just happened to think of an improvement: a HanDBase "night mode". I use HB at night on a regular basis, and the white background is a bit of a strain past a certain label of low light. Informant v. 5 has a dark mode that works fairly well at night, it's a lot easier on the eyes. That would be much appreciated (by me at least)

Hey Bob,

This is a great request, I have this on my list for HanDBase 5 as it's not trivial to implement. At first glance it seems easy, but when I looked into it, a lot of changes required. Probably won't be able to squeeze it in this month, but hopefully will get to it someday!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby ArGiEs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:34 pm

ddhsoftwareadmin wrote:
ArGiEs wrote:I just happened to think of an improvement: a HanDBase "night mode". I use HB at night on a regular basis, and the white background is a bit of a strain past a certain label of low light. Informant v. 5 has a dark mode that works fairly well at night, it's a lot easier on the eyes. That would be much appreciated (by me at least)

Hey Bob,

This is a great request, I have this on my list for HanDBase 5 as it's not trivial to implement. At first glance it seems easy, but when I looked into it, a lot of changes required. Probably won't be able to squeeze it in this month, but hopefully will get to it someday!

I figured it wouldn't be trivial. I've seen discussions about Apple putting in a dark mode for iOS, that it would be a major deal. Seems like one would need a decorator's eye, among other things

Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby ken.w » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 am

Sorry I'm late to this, Dave, but the slider impreciseness is probably my biggest issue. Glad to see others touch on this.

One thing I'd love to see is more font size choices for forms. The big one is really big.

If no subscription or update pricing is coming soon, maybe a tip jar? I get so much use out of HanDBase that I'd be happy to send money to help with development!
ken.w

Postby ken.w » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:51 am

One more thing I remembered that gets me often is formatting for dates. I'd love them to have a consistent width. I guess padding single digits in dates with 0s would help a lot.

Thanks again!
ken.w

Postby glenwf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Thinking about getting improvements worked on, I want to mention something I don't think I've heard.

Have a list of improvements (UI list , or any other improvement list). Gather the number of people that will pledge a certain amount (survey monkey?) for that improvement. If enough people pledge enough to pay for the development resources (your time, extra licenses, ?) then you can be assured a return on your investment and those people that pledge a certain amount will pay (money held in a paypal account?) with the money set aside. Other people can pay for the additional functions at update time, or a yearly update fee???

Hope this isn't something you have thought about and might be interested.

Thanks.
glenwf

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch