Backup folder ever expanding?

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Backup folder ever expanding?

Postby glenwf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:56 pm

**iPod Touch 5 - iOS 9.3.5 - HanDBase 4.9.073
**MacBook Pro (Mid 2012, 15”) - OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 - HanDBase 4.512.

I discovered too many files in my desktop backup folder. Is there a way to stop keeping so many copies?

My current file directory
/Users/glenforister/Documents/HanDBase/Glens iPod touch
has 185 items which includes “Backup” and “Archive” directories.

I have my Desktop HandBase program configured with the “Edit Sync Settings” window with sync settings
“Number of Backups to keep for this database” = 5.
“Synchronize this database”

That window also shows “previously synced databases” = 109.

Therefore, I can’t see why in my desktop “Backup” folder:
/Users/glenforister/Documents/HanDBase/Glens iPod touch/Backup
there are 5,044 files.

This is a problem mostly when I try to do a backup of my HanDBase folder and it takes so long to back it up.

The question: Are the sync settings of “5” backups to keep for each database actually being used, or is it keeping everything. Those files go back to 2014, with anywhere from 8 to 48 copies of each database in that directory.

Hope someone can tell me what is going wrong???
Thanks.
glenwf

Re: Backup folder ever expanding?

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your folder is getting so out of hand! I just checked the code and it does use the backup max setting in there. Not saying there isn't a bug, but at least it's supposed to be functioning. The only way I see a problem with lots of backups is if you change the max to make it lower. This is because the code builds up a list of related database files for a given database and deletes the oldest one whenever a new backup comes in and there are more than the max backups. So if you had 20 as the max and there are 20 and now you change it to 5, it will keep deleting the oldest one as you back up but never delete the other 15 you don't need. I will check into fixing this, but for now you could you always remove some old files from that folder manually.

Sorry again!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: Backup folder ever expanding?

Postby glenwf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:08 pm

OK. There are 2 bugs.

1. I did lower the # of backups, and anything higher than the lower number I selected was left. Changed from 10 backups to 5 but there continued to stay the 10 backups, but only 5 of them rotating in and out.

2. Any program that I had deleted was still in the backup long, long after I had deleted it. Since it wasn't being backed up it was just left alone, and not deleted. That had a way of increasing deadwood in the backup folder.

Too much work to delete all the necessary files. Just moved the Backup folder. Added an empty Backup folder where it should be and started backing up. After a while I'll delete that old backup folder placed out of the way during that time just in case I need something. Much easier.

Thanks.
glenwf

Return to HanDBase for Mac