Accidentally "set value to" entire database. Way to cancel?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Accidentally "set value to" entire database. Way to cancel?

Postby d_or2000@yahoo.com » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 am

Hi
It is early in the morning, on a long trip, far from any backup, and I was looking for a quick way to filter a column. Going around I found a mysterious "set value to" in the contextual menu of the said column. "Maybe that's it I thought", and I did the irreparable: I changed the value of more than 10000 records to a single value. It's only a second later (HanDBase is fast!) that I discovered that, without confirmation message ("Setting value cannot be cancelled, are you sure you want to continue?"), I had made the horrible mistake.
So I'm thinking now that if there wasn't any confirmation message maybe it's because there is a way to cancel or go back to a hidden backup on the devicel? I looked around and could not find any though? Any tip??
Thanks

(As said I'm on a trip and unfortunately cannot access my laptop backups)
d_or2000@yahoo.com

Re: Accidentally "set value to" entire database. Way to canc

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi there,

I'm guessing you're long back from your trip at this point- I am extremely sorry I hadn't responded sooner to your huge dilemma. As I've told a few others I have been doing a very poor job of keeping up with the forums the past few months and I totally missed several posts during that time. I hope I didn't cause you too big an inconvenience.

As you may have determined, there is no undo function. HanDBase, in order to be fast, does not use a journaling system that would allow it to keep a list of transaction and potentially restore after. The paradigm has always been to restore a backup if you lose something either accidentally or on purpose. Hopefully you were able to restore when you got back.

So sorry again!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch