Trouble syncing to a second iphone

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Trouble syncing to a second iphone

Postby Max » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:58 pm

I've been unable to sync HanDBase from my Mac to an iPhone 5 that I recently resurrected as a backup for my iPhone 6+. The 6+ syncs just fine. But when I try to update the HanDBase files on the 5, nothing I've thought of has worked. They never update past December 2014, when I bought the 6+.

Deleting the HanDBase app from the 5 and reinstalling it made no difference, nor did resetting the 5 by holding down both the power button and the home button simultaneously for ten seconds. The phone resets, but when I then sync the current data from the Mac, it's still the 2014 data on the iPhone 5.

This is certainly no emergency, but I would like to be able to use HanDBase on the 5 with current data. So I'll appreciate any ideas you might have.

On a related subject, I've found the syncing procedure opaque and complicated by today's standards. (Yes, it was state of the art on the Palm Pilot.) I was eventually able to add the 5 as a new device--but because the sync settings aren't readily visible when syncing, I inadvertently synced old data from the 5 to the desktop. That caused me some consternation. Fortunately, I was able to restore the current data from the iPhone 6+ to the desktop. Unfortunately, I was a slow learner and did that rigamarole TWICE before finally catching on.

So when you get around to updating the Mac desktop app, I hope you'll make syncing simpler and clearer. (Apple does it invisibly!)
Max

Re: Trouble syncing to a second iphone

Postby curtterp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:31 pm

HanDBase is the same across the board. Each devices sync's to its own folder and keeps the data separate from other devices.

There is a way to share databases across devices. Here are the steps

• Open HanDBase Desktop on your Mac
  • Click on Devices->Sync/Configure iPhone........
  • Select your iPhone 6, then click the Edit Sync Settings Button
  • On the left hand side, put your cursor over the Previously Synced Database, then Click on the word Show that appears to the right
  • Click on one of the databases you want to share data with, then clear the check in the box on the right
  • Put a check in the box for Share this databases with other iPhone users
  • Default is share with all users. If you light up the dot to choose the users to share with, a list of users will appear in the box below, and you can choose with users to share with.
  • Repeat the last 3 items for all the other databases you want to share between devices.

A couple of items to note
  • If you create a new database, then you will need to do this all again if you want to share the new database.
  • I would keep the creation of any new databases to the iPhone 6. This way, the control of the databases stay with one phone.

I hope this helps
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Re: Trouble syncing to a second iphone

Postby jd22hunt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:30 am

Max wrote:I've been unable to sync HanDBase from my Mac to an iPhone 5 that I recently resurrected as a backup for my iPhone 6+. The 6+ syncs just fine. But when I try to update the HanDBase files on the 5, nothing I've thought of has worked. They never update past December 2014, when I bought the 6+.

Deleting the HanDBase app from the 5 and reinstalling it made no difference, nor did resetting the 5 by holding down both the power button and the home button simultaneously for ten seconds. The phone resets, but when I then sync the current data from the Mac, it's still the 2014 data on the iPhone 5.

This is certainly no emergency, but I would like to be able to use HanDBase on the 5 with current data. So I'll appreciate any ideas you might have.

On a related subject, I've found the syncing procedure opaque and complicated by today's standards. (Yes, it was state of the art on the Palm Pilot.) I was eventually able to add the 5 as a new device--but because the sync settings aren't readily visible when syncing, I inadvertently synced old data from the 5 to the desktop. That caused me some consternation. Fortunately, I was able to restore the current data from the iPhone 6+ to the desktop. Unfortunately, I was a slow learner and did that rigamarole TWICE before finally catching on.

So when you get around to updating the Mac desktop app, I hope you'll make syncing simpler and clearer. (Apple does it invisibly!)

Max,

I don't have a Mac computer, but this has worked for me.

Back up your databases to Dropbox. Add the Dropbox app to your iphone. Open the Dropbox app on your iphone, tap the database that you want to download. Click on the menu bar (top right), select export, then Open in.... Then you will see a list of apps, click on Copy to HandBase, and your done.

It's a little more time consuming but it works!!! If you have an Android device this works even better, because once you tap on the database, it almost automatically uploads.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
jd22hunt

Return to HanDBase General Discussion