Newbie Question -- Copying Records to Another Database

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Newbie Question -- Copying Records to Another Database

Postby dane » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 am

Hi! Newbie here, with a question.

I'm trying to develop an app for my wife to track greeting cards she sends. The premise is to have a database of occasions (date, name, occasion), then select from that list with a view and copy the subset to a separate card prep / mail log database. (She sends a LOT of cards.)

When I try to copy the records from one to another, the pop-up values from the source database don't transfer to the target database -- just a No Value result. Any thoughts / advice for me here?

Thanks!
dane

Re: Newbie Question -- Copying Records to Another Database

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting your question! When you use a regular Popup field, it actually doesn't store the text value internally but a special unique ID. This ID is what makes it possible for you to make changes on two devices and have the results synced properly and for you to be able to rename a popup and have it apply to all your existing fields. Unfortunately when you copy a record from one database to the other, even if the popup list has the same values in it, it probably won't convert over unless the other database was created from the existing one. You may have started that way (ie, copy the database from the existing one and use as the template for the new one), but maybe you later added some popup values to the original database. If those don't exist in the new database, even if you create a matching one manually the value wouldn't transfer over.

So a few things you could try:

1. Create a new template from the original database and then copy all the records from the 2nd database to this new template. See if the popups now show correctly in this database and if so, use it hereafter.

2. Change the field type to a text field. It can have popups too but the data is stored as text and will copy from any database to any other even if the item is not in the list.
If you want to restrict the user (ie, your wife) from being able to write in a value in the text field, you can use the form designer to create a form that doesn't have the text field user editable.

Hope this helps!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Question -- Copying Records to Another Database

Postby dane » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:04 am

Thanks, Dave! I had already figured this out, but your explanation gives me some helpful additional insight.

For other newbies out there, what worked for me was to include all the needed fields for both databases in the source, but use views to only show the applicable source data. Then use that source database structure as a template for the target, and use different views to show the applicable target data. This is simple and straightforward, and works fine for the app I had in mind.

I'm sure there are refinements to this approach that I'll pick up later, but HanDBase and this approach worked quickly and well for this project.

Thanks again for the detailed response!

~dane
dane

Return to HanDBase for iPad