Can't Sync To My Android

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Can't Sync To My Android

Postby murrysdad » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:16 am

I am running windows 7 and my Android is an HTC One running Android 4.4.2.

I've tried: Re-installing Handbase; rebooting my router/wifi, and USB. I can't get it to work. Just get a message, "Could not get device name from device"
Please help.
Steve
murrysdad

Re: Can't Sync To My Android

Postby curtterp » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:49 pm

murrysdad wrote:I am running windows 7 and my Android is an HTC One running Android 4.4.2.

I've tried: Re-installing Handbase; rebooting my router/wifi, and USB. I can't get it to work. Just get a message, "Could not get device name from device"
Please help.
Steve

First thing you want to make sure is that you are on the same network as your computer that you are trying to sync with. You want to make sure that the first three set of numbers are the same for both. The last set must be different.

Second thing to check is to make sure that the computer is able to reach the device. With the device in wireless mode, open a browser and type in the device IP address as shown on the device. Make sure you include the 'http://' and the :8080 on the end. After you press enter, you should see your databases in the web browser.

If everything is working to this point, try to sync again. IF you still get the same error, the next thing to try is to delete the old partnership and try to establish a new one.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby murrysdad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. Nothing seems to match IP wise. Also, not my area of expertise. I went the old-fashioned route - sent the database to myself as an g-email - works fine. Like the program a lot. Will live without the wifi updates.

Thanks again,
Steve
murrysdad

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:09 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for confirming that email works for you.

Regarding the fact that the sync is not working via WiFi, since you mention that the IP addresses are different for the computer and Android, you will want to double check to make sure that the Android is connecting to the same network you are using at your house.

The easiest way to do this is to check the name of the network that the Android is connecting to.

Try the following on your Android:
1. Enable WiFi
2. Open the Settings app
3. In the Network Connections section tap on the WiFi option (this may very slightly depending on the model of Android you are using and the version of the operating system it is using)
4. You will then see a list of networks available
5. The network your Android is connected to is listed at the top of the display
6. Check the name that is shown, ie, BluePenguin, MyGreatNetwork, etc
7. Make sure that you are connected to the WiFi access point for your network... if you are not, select the proper network

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby cabby205 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm

I have this symptom intermittenly. After following the instructions above, I have, additionally, rebooted my Android. Usually, it works. Although I now get the message "0 databases have been ..." . I then temporarily disable my anti-virus software (Avast) and everything works good after that.
cabby205

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:49 am

cabby205 wrote:I have this symptom intermittenly. After following the instructions above, I have, additionally, rebooted my Android. Usually, it works. Although I now get the message "0 databases have been ..." . I then temporarily disable my anti-virus software (Avast) and everything works good after that.

Thanks for confirming temporarily disabling Avast fixes the sync for you. We are not sure what occurred with the last updates to some antivirus software, but they are causing this issue. A lot of sync options use similar methods, so hopefully they will sort it out in an upcoming update.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Windows