Backing Up HandBase for iPhone w/o wireless connection

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Backing Up HandBase for iPhone w/o wireless connection

Postby BobK » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 am

I have been successfully backing up my iPhone databases through iTunes, laborious as it is, for years. The most recent update for iTunes (12.6.0.100), however, eliminated the list of files associated with apps on the iTunes desktop screen which allowed me to copy app-specific files (including HandBase databases) between my phone and my desktop computer. The great thing about the old system is it allowed me to update a database during the day in the office using the desktop version and then, after a file transfer, keep doing so when i was away from my office. And then update my desktop from the iPhone when I got to the office the following day. This is critical to me because I use a custom HandBase database as my daily work log and need to constantly update it.

I'm using HandBase version 4.9.073 2016.9.17.1 on an iPhone 5s with IOS 10.3.1. And I do not have wifi in my office so that's not an option, unfortunately. I've discovered the Dropbox workaround but that's not a great solution. Does anyone have another solution, or know how to go back to an older version of iTunes which still allowed this file transfer?

This isn't the only iPhone software that has this backup problem. I also use KeePass for passwords and can no longer keep those files synced between iPhone and desktop, either.

THANKS!!
BobK

Re: Backing Up HandBase for iPhone w/o wireless connection

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. The latest iTunes did not remove the File Sharing option- at least not on my end. That's a significant change and one you'd definitely hear a lot in the press if they dropped it, I'd imagine!

Please tell me the steps you are taking to get to the File Sharing. On my end, clicking the iPhone icon while connected and then Apps, and then scrolling down below the list of apps and home screen layout. Is that where you usually found it?

Please let me know if you're on windows or mac as well. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby BobK » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi Dave,

I didn't check back quickly because I found out that my employer (a gov't agency) disabled that feature of iTunes to make it more secure. Frustrating result no matter how good the intention. To answer your question, though, that's where I always (used to) find the file sharing feature. But for me, it's gone now.

So... the workaround I am now using is to email the database back and forth between my iphone and my windows 8 laptop. It works, but I have to pay very close attention to file naming conventions, where the file is stored, etc. on my laptop, else there's plenty of opportunity for problems. I am not supposed to use Dropbox or iCloud or similar cloud storage (again, an employer rule).

Any suggestions for another way to transfer database updates from my iPhone to my laptop and vice versa, considering all the handicaps?

Thanks.
BobK

Postby curtterp » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:16 pm

If you cannot use WiFi for syncing, email is the best way to do it.

Here is the workflow that I have used in the past

From Windows
  • Using File Explorer, navigate to where the database is
  • Right click on the database, and click on "Send to" -> then click on "email as an attachment" (or simular wording)
  • Email to the email of choice for iPhone
  • On the iPhone, open the attachment and merge with the existing database

From iPhone
  • On the Database selection screen, (File Cabinet) Click on the file tab for the database or (Modern) Click on the three dots on the right
  • Select email
  • email to the windows computer
  • open the attachment and merge with the database on the windows machine

This worked when I had a windows 7 machine up and running, but now I run all Macs, so I can't verify tonight if it still all works.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby BobK » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks, Curt. That's how I've been doing it and when I am very careful about naming conventions on the computer it works well.
Bob
BobK

Postby kou » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:07 pm

How about transfer your desired files via Gmail? It is effective when your data are not big.
kou

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch