News for Mac Users!

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

News for Mac Users!

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi there!

Happy New Year. It was earlier in 2009 when we release HanDBase 4.25 for Mac, which was the first in a series of updates planned for the Mac desktop program. The ultimate goal is that the Mac Desktop version is as good or better than the Windows Desktop counterpart. But the realization is that the Windows version has about 8 years more development time into it than the Mac version, so this may take some time.

I wanted to first apologize that the updates to follow the March 09 update have not yet been released. They are being worked on, albeit at a much slower pace than I would have liked. As many of you know, we're a small company and I'm forced to work on many projects and platforms simultaneously. In order to avoid switching mindsets every minute of the day or week, I try to allocate blocks of time to work on projects. The plan was to complete the next Mac desktop update (which would add the Edit Record screen, among other things) before the end of 2009. But this was after the 'extreme makeover edition' of HanDBase for iPhone. That version is just about complete now and just being prepared for submission to Apple, about 3 months later than anticipated. That means the Mac Desktop version falls behind by about the same amount unfortunately. I wish that weren't the case, but wanted to make sure you were all aware of the delay and the cause for it.

That said, I have been working on testing something that I hope would be an interim solution. As many of you know, HanDBase Desktop for Windows is far more full featured program and many Mac users run this version via Parallels, VMWare Fusion or Crossover. The latter solution is based on the popular WINE emulator for running windows applications and was free for a day last year. I discovered that there was a way for me to create a standalone 'runtime' version of HanDBase Desktop for Windows that would run without the need for you to install any of the above. It's still using the WINE emulation, but all of that is bundled into the standalone HanDBase Desktop application. I have tested with much success on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and would like to get some feedback from other Mac users before I make any decisions, but my thought was to provide this version free to registered Mac Desktop users of our product as an interim solution while the Mac version is being further refined/developed.

Let me know if you'd like to give this a try by emailing me with your registered email address so I can add this to your account. I hope this works out well for everyone and as a Mac user myself, I can't wait for the day when our native Mac Desktop is fully featured!
dhaupert

Re: News for Mac Users!

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:25 pm

As a followup to this topic, thanks to all the users who gave the WINE version a try. No problems reported so far, and so I'm opening this up to more users!

We built in a download directly from the registered user's page:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download

Whatever product you have setup for Mac should show the WINE/emulated version in there with some text above. You can follow that link to download the program.

Feel free to post here with any questions or comments!
dhaupert

Postby shaggydog » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Thank you very much for helping us Mac users. I have successfully installed the program, however it refuses to believe I have the Iphone add-on. Which I do. I have HanDBase Desktop for Mac 4 which work fine, but the Wine version just gives me an error "Perhaps HanDBase for IPhone is not installed?" Any suggestions?
shaggydog

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for writing. Indeed the Windows program can't link to the Mac program you already have. This is just a desktop version, not a full conduit syncing version as the Mac version already has that and does it better than the Windows one anyway!

What you can do, is sync via your Mac version but when you want to edit your data or create new databases, use the WINE windows version. In fact, there is a provision in the Open Database screen under the Windows one to create a 'custom' user. There you can point to the folder the Mac conduit creates in Documents\HanDBase\Username and create a shortcut to your databases so that they can easily be opened and modified on the Windows version. Hope that makes sense!

Hoping that in the coming months the reasons to run the Windows/WINE version will slowly disappear!
dhaupert

Postby nefserrano@gmail.com » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Out of curiosity, will the Mac version have the ability to sync with ODBC e.g. filemaker?
nefserrano@gmail.com

Postby dhaupert » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi there,

There are no definite plans for syncing with Filemaker, but it's something I'm definitely interested in exploring in the future. Just too many items on the plate right now to really pursue in the near future!
dhaupert

Postby midtoad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:30 pm

The WINE version 4.1.1 for Mac users has an apparent bug. It will not accept changes made to preferences. If I open the preferences and change date format to YY-MM-DD from MM/DD/YYYY, nothing happens to the displayed dates, even if I refresh, or save the file and re-open. Ditto for time formats. I had some time duration fields that were in HH:MM format on my iPad, and on the desktop they've all been converted a 12-hour clock format, so that 0:30 is now displayed as 12:30am. This has broken my database!
HandBase user on PalmOS, Windows Mobile, iPhone, and soon... Android!
midtoad

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 pm

I believe those changes only take effect after a restart. Give that a try and let me know if the problem persists!
dhaupert

Postby richardmata555 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi Dave,

I wonder if your wine version can also run in other mac os aside from snow leopard. Mine is the same, i would like to recommend it to my friends but I better post this queation first.

Richard
richardmata555

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi Richard,

If I remember correctly, it will run in OS X 10.4 and higher. There is a possibility that it will run in earlier versions, but I don't believe it's been tested. One thing to make certain is that the user's installation of OS X has X11 installed. Some versions have it pre-installed in the ..\Applications\Utilities folder. If it isn't there, it will be on one of the DVD's that came with the computer.

If you or a friend does try it on one of the earlier versions, we'd be interested in knowing the results!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Next

Return to HanDBase for Mac