HanDBase for Android 4.6.400 Released to Google Play Store!

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

HanDBase for Android 4.6.400 Released to Google Play Store!

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi,

I've just submitted an update to Google Play Store for HanDBase for Android 4.6.400. The following improvements have been made:

- Better font scaling, especially on Samsung devices.
- New Icon
- Fixed a bug causing a crash when running a report on a Popup field.
- Fixed a bug where a report could be run on a text field even though the app did not really support this!

I know that's not a lot of changes, and I'm sorry for that, but hopefully this is the start of more frequent updates! I actually have some development of the External field type done but it wasn't complete and I didn't want to include it while not fully baked. That's what I hope to add for the next update.

Let me know if you find any issues with this!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: HanDBase for Android 4.6.400 Released to Google Play Sto

Postby GJHmf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 am

Excellent news, thanks for the update.

The only minor after effects I'm seeing on my installation are:
- The list view now displays rows with double spacing between them, making me need to scroll more to view records
- My previous font size was lost

Nexus 5X, Android 7.1.2

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
GJHmf

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks for your post- first off, are you using a Prius? Those MPGs are really good and can't imagine any other cars in that range!

Regarding the extra padding on the rows, it's weird how inconsistent things are on different Android devices- I have the row height being proportional to the text size, but on some devices there is a disparity that I had to account for with some additional padding. Hopefully you can make your font a little bigger to reduce some of that effect and I can look into seeing if there is something else that can be done.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby GJHmf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:28 am

Haha, that MPG is about average for diesel car on my urban commute :)

Thanks for looking into the issue though, and look forward to seeing if this is can be improved. I'd rather not use a larger font size - but as all data is intact, I'm happy to adjust to the difference for now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
GJHmf

Postby mugwump » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the update!

I'm experiencing a similar issue on a OnePlus One running Cyanogen 13.1.2 / Android 6.0.1.

My default font size in both the List View and Edit Record screen was 16. After updating HanDBase, with those values the List View is diplayed with a huge font while the Edit Record screen is the same as before.

I changed the List View font size to 6 to get the same font as in the Record View. However, I now have the same issue as GJHmf - my spacing is a lot wider than it was, which allows me to see ony a dozen entries in the List View.

Hopefully you can figure out what's going on and find a fix for this... Let me know if you'd like me to post some screencaps.

Look forward to the upcoming updates and new features, and wish you the best on the full time HanDBase / freelancing project.

Fred
mugwump

Postby glomfan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi Dave
Same thing here (Samsung Galaxy S7 edge European (Swisscom); Android 7.0):
List view becomes padded between the lines and therefore is much less useful. BTW I needed to reduce font size in preferences/list view to 5 (the lowest possible Setting) to obtain a size similar to font 14 in previous edition.
Since for some reason I am unable to restore the older Version from APK files, I would highly appreciate any tip for fixing this issue.
Sincerely, Andreas
glomfan

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Very sorry to hear you're all having this. Not seeing this on my end, though if I set the font super small (barely readable to me) I do see there is a minimum size for each row height that comes into play. I'll work on this over the next day or two and try to get a quick update out this week if I can find a solution!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby ThomasW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 pm

I am havning the same problem with giant text. The database list and records display the same as in the past. The list display font is much larger. I can't shrink it down as small as it used to be (a font of 6 is much larger than in the past).

This is with a Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 7.0). I remember when I moved to this phone that the line spacing changed from my old phone (wider spacing). Now the I can't get the previous font size.

This is just for the list view. It appears the "font size" parameter is being applied much differently between list and record displays.
ThomasW

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 pm

I have been working on today and think I have a better solution. The problem I was originally seeking to address was that Samsung phone's font scaling in the settings app yielded different sizes than other devices and the result was sometimes cut off text. I was now padding the size of the row height to also account for this unknown.

What I'm doing now is not using the scaling that is set in the settings app for the list view. Having a font size scaling option in the app and one in the settings yields too many places where your font size is affected. I now set the text size in a way that ignores that font size in the settings, display section of the settings app and so the one in HanDBase's preferences takes precedence. I am also getting the correct font height from the font I am about to set and making sure the row is at least that big plus a small amount of margin.

It seems much better than before in all cases I've tried but I only have one Android device. If any of you would like to try a beta, please email me directly (dhaupert @ ddhsoftware dot com) and I can get you set up! If you're not interested in side-loading an APK file I completely understand and hopefully this new build will get checked out by enough people that I can submit as early as Tuesday or Wednesday of this week!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 pm

For those following replies on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4332

:)
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for Android