Using the Relationship field to display a date.

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Using the Relationship field to display a date.

Postby moneil » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 am

This is somewhat similar to the question posed in "Link data from one DB to another" on 12/11/17, but I'm thinking my approach "should" work based on the Link, Linked, Relationship tutorial.

Database 1 is called “Transactions”: There is an Account field (DB Popup), Date field, Amount field, etc., and then a Category field (Link) which opens Database 2 called “Category Split”. Database 2 has an Account field (Linked) and the name of the account is displayed. In Database 2 one can break down the total amount from the transaction into categories.

I would like to have each of these linked category split records display the date of the master transaction in the “Link record”, but not have to manually enter the date for each one. Typically I would be making entries after the actual transaction date, so the auto date functions aren’t useful in this situation.

Reading the tutorial it seemed that the Relationship function should do this but it’s not working for me.
In the “Category Split” database (the linked record) I have a relationship field where the “Related Field in This Database” is Account, the “Other Database Name” is Transactions, the “Other Field Name” is Account (thereby establishing the relationship), and “Show From Other Database” is Date, Last Record. However, the date value doesn’t appear in the record.

What am I doing wrong or not understanding? Thank you.
moneil

Re: Using the Relationship field to display a date.

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 am

Hi there,

I think the relationship field in the category split database that grabs the date needs to point to the link field in the Transactions database. You have it pointing to the DB Popup field instead. If it were pointing to the Category field instead, this should most likely work the way you're hoping. Let me know if it doesn't!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: Using the Relationship field to display a date.

Postby moneil » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Your suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you Dave!
moneil

Return to HanDBase General Discussion