*** How to get images database from iPhone to iPad?

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

*** How to get images database from iPhone to iPad?

Postby jfh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 am

I deleted HanDBase from my iPhone to see if it would solve a problem with the new release.

I have got the program and key databases back on the phone but cannot figure out how to get the images database from the iPad to the phone. I used Desktop Connect to get the images zip file from the iPad to my laptop but cannot get that file to the iPhone. Desktop Connect upload is looking for a URL on the phone that doesn't exist (add_file.htm or somelike that)

How do I copy the HanDBase image database to the iPhone?
jfh

Re: *** How to get images database from iPhone to iPad?

Postby Treanot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am

I'm not sitting in front of a computer to test this but if I recall - each image is save in a folder on the iOS device.
UPDATED THIS DOES NOT WORK
[ You should be able to either copy all the image files into the program when it is connected to iTunes under file share.] I'm not sure if when you select the file share option if there is a sub menu for images. I would try it with one or two images as a test. I often import and export my main data bases using this method (images have always been different). Make sure you use the sync option after doing the copy.
THIS DOES WORK
The other way is that I use a free program called ifunbox that gives you access to subdirectories of the apps on your device. Some of the access needs a jail broken device but I'm pretty sure what you want it for does not. Give those a try. If you need more help I will sit on a computer and do a walk thru.
Last edited by Treanot on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treanot

Postby glenwf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:49 pm

Just butting in here as a possible extra viewpoint worth at least 2 cents.

I just tried iFunBox to access HanDBase pics on my iOS (iPod Touch 5), but it says it can not get access (Sandbox access denied (restricted) by Apple to ones with "iTunes Sharing" enabled since iOS 8.3. Jailbreak is required to open the sandbox of this app.

Therefore, I suspect this problem can't be solved with iFunBox unless it has been jailbroken.

In the past I've only been able to move pics from one device to another mobile device using the Desktop Connect, and then, only one image at a time. Never tried from desktop to mobile device.
glenwf

Postby Treanot » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:43 pm

Intreasting. BTW this is not of the faint at heart what I'm doing.
I'm gonna test it out while I am typing this. I use handbase on multiple devices, with images (as you can see on many of my prior posts). One of the limitations of handbase is that between devices the images do not automatically transfer so that the pictures I take with one device do not show up on the other, but the placehold image name shows up. I manually transfer file images in batches between devices, often using ifunbox. Granted one of my devices is jailbroken, but I will test it out on my nonjailbroken, iphone 5s running 10.3.1 ios. Grant setting up Ifunbox was a bit of a pain, but I havent done it in a long time. I'm running Ifun box ver 3.0 build 3939.1352 x64 version running on my Windows 7 Sony Viao. I have several different versions of Ifunbox on several different machines, and some work and some don't. I'm not sure why but I never cared so Ive never investigated.

Ifunbox detected my device. Under Connected Devices it says my iphone name:IPHONE 5s on USB (Jailed). I don't think I ever jailbroke this device in the past. You need to make sure it connects first with Itunes, and there is no password still on the device (meaning its not waiting for password), otherwise it will look like it connect but it hasnt. Ifun will allow you to see the basic menus but not show you any details about your device.
Under Managing App Data I choose handbase from the Itune file Sharing menu thats on the screen. Other file sharing apps willl show up - on mine I have Filemaker go, Numbers, Scan to Note, etc.
Select Handbase, by clicking on it, then select open sandbox.
Its very similar to what you would see in itunes, two directories - images, and Thumbnails, plus my databases.
This is what is different, In itunes you can not open the images directory (I need to confirm that) but in IFUNBOX you can. As I recall if you have a jailbroken device you can navigate the actual program directories.
Double clicking the Image directory will show you all the file names located within that directory
For this purpose i will just copy a image to my desktop - see if that works. It does, it copied the image to my desktop.
For this purpose I will add a random graphic image into that directory and that worked.
So as long as you have the file name within your Database you should be able to add the image into the directory.

ALSO -

It seems you Can not Copy IMAGES into the IMAGES directory Via ITUNES using the File Share.

Another program that might come in handy - and I hope you never need to use it is - directory list & print (pro). I havent need to use this but I go it in case someone gave me a lot of image files, and I need to extract the file name so that I can enter them into handbase, and just grab the file name, - i think it dumps it into a spreadsheet - have the external field point to the name and then in my FORM it just views that file, as long as it is within the device Image subdirectory.

After using Handbase for many years, I am moving forward to coding and design in filemaker pro advance. I love Handbase and its been a super great tool, except for me the work around for multiple users and image management. The other issue was the Lack of Report Options (HTML was not fun to code), and Label Printing, I currently export my data to BASE in openoffice for reporting, and Use Brother's PTouch software to print Labels with my export CVS. For the Cost Handbase is great, and is full of features and has great Support.

Hope this helps. PM me for questions.
Treanot

Postby glenwf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Ok, I'll add another penny to my 2 cents.

I was using iFunBox ver 3.0 build 3939, for the Mac (the newest version). Therefore it probably isn't as capable as the windows version. That is probably why I failed to have access.

Sorry I forgot to include important information
glenwf

Return to HanDBase for iPad