All databases gone on Iphone after update to latest version

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

All databases gone on Iphone after update to latest version

Postby spikebyt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:21 am

Hi all,

A few days ago I got the message that there was a new version of Handbase available in the App-Store. But when I tried to update it, from the Appstore, a pop-up told me that my version was not purchased in the appStore. I use Handbase since my first iPhone 4 and moved via 6 to my current iPhone 7. iCloud backup is on, as long this is provided, so I removed the app and downlodad the latest version from Store. After Installation I found all my files gone, and in iCloud I see only files dated with 2013 stamp. Two of my 6 databases contain a lot of info I'm in desperate need of now. I have sent a mail to support group but got no reply from them yet. Maybe other users here have the same problem and can give me hints to get my data back, either from iPhone or from iCloud.
Any help or hints are welcome

TIA Spikebyt
spikebyt

Re: All databases gone on Iphone after update to latest vers

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi there,

So sorry for the delay in responding! It sounds like you are in quite a pickle- when you delete the app it deletes all of your data. Loading it back from the app store won't restore the data if you physically delete an app. iCloud unfortunately doesn't behave the way many users hope or expect it to- it's really only useful for a complete restore after losing a phone or upgrading.

The outlook is not good for you at this point, unless you've used one of the many backup tools we provide within HanDBase, such as Desktop Connect, emailing databases, Open In.. from the Choose DB screen, or an add-on like our desktop backup conduit. Hoping you have, and if so, the restore process should be quite simple.

The fact that you wrote here means you probably didn't though. In that case your only other hope is if you were also backing up via iTunes to your PC or Mac. If you are, the backup file created should have your database included in it- the trick is getting to the file and that requires the use of a third party tool. There are several like iFunbox, iExplorer, and more- you may have to pay for the app to use it, though they usually have demos and you may be able to restore at least a few files with the demo. Please google and give them a try if you do have local backups.

Unfortunately if you don't have a backup of the database, it just doesn't exist any longer and can't be restored. Here's hoping one of the above is true for you!

As for why you got a message saying the app you had wasn't purchased in the app store, I'm not sure what this means. There isn't any legal way to install an app outside of the app store on an iPhone. Wish I could help more but not sure what this could be from!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby spikebyt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:59 am

Hi dave, I just replied in the other topic on your answer.
You can close this topic, or join this with the other item

A better justified message from the App would have made it clear for me what was going to happen
spikebyt

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi again,

I'll post to both just for the sake of each thread making sense!

While some apps have built in notices for new versions, HanDBase doesn't do this at all! I leave it to the OS to update your app automatically if you have that set, or manually by yourself. So I'm not sure what message you saw or are referring to! I believe it came from the OS as there is absolutely nothing in the app to warn for a new version. As such I don't have any control over what the text of that message says.

I'm still very sorry to hear that your data was lost. I hope I am not trivializing that by saying it wasn't through HanDBase that it was lost. I have about 7 or 8 databases in HanDBase I consult daily and even as the developer of HanDBase I don't use the conduit as often as I should. I do think if HanDBase offered a solution to sync to the cloud, DropBox, etc, this would help a lot in a situation like this and hopefully some day I can financially justify the time investment to offer this!!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby spikebyt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:15 pm

okay thanks you can close this topic now
I will make more often backups by email, after updates of my important databases

Frans V.
spikebyt

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch