iOS 11 and HanDBase - any issues??

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: iOS 11 and HanDBase - any issues??

Postby spikebyt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:55 am

Hi Dave, I've read your response and all you say is clear to me. And of course I deleted the app myself, that is right

But I like to state again that I used the program for years without any problem. When i tried the reopen them after an update, not sure if it was iOS or the App, the app told me I HAD to upgrade and I got no other options than Quit or Delete the App. Only after the deletion I noticed my files were gone. It would have been better if the message had told me to be sure to have separate backups available before deleting the APP. Nothing was told about the datafiles, only the app itself
spikebyt

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:43 pm

spikebyt wrote:Hi Dave, I've read your response and all you say is clear to me. And of course I deleted the app myself, that is right

But I like to state again that I used the program for years without any problem. When i tried the reopen them after an update, not sure if it was iOS or the App, the app told me I HAD to upgrade and I got no other options than Quit or Delete the App. Only after the deletion I noticed my files were gone. It would have been better if the message had told me to be sure to have separate backups available before deleting the APP. Nothing was told about the datafiles, only the app itself

While some apps have built in notices for new versions, HanDBase doesn't do this at all! I leave it to the OS to update your app automatically if you have that set, or manually by yourself. So I'm not sure what message you saw or are referring to! I believe it came from the OS as there is absolutely nothing in the app to warn for a new version. As such I don't have any control over what the text of that message says. I can't even understand why the message would say to delete the app as that is never required for upgrades.

I'm still very sorry to hear that your data was lost. I hope I am not trivializing that by saying it wasn't through HanDBase that it was lost. I have about 7 or 8 databases in HanDBase I consult daily and even as the developer of HanDBase I don't use the conduit as often as I should. I do think if HanDBase offered a solution to sync to the cloud, DropBox, etc, this would help a lot in a situation like this and hopefully some day I can financially justify the time investment to offer this!!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby spikebyt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks Dave, I never knew how that mechanism worked
I will have to make backups more often (to email) in case my important databases have changed

Thanks for mentioning that maybe an option to backup to icloud is coming
That would be really helpful for Apple users
spikebyt

Postby curtterp » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 pm

spikebyt wrote:Thanks Dave, I never knew how that mechanism worked
I will have to make backups more often (to email) in case my important databases have changed

Thanks for mentioning that maybe an option to backup to icloud is coming
That would be really helpful for Apple users

Actually he said to the cloud as in Dropbox/Google Drive/One Drive (Microsoft). Since HanDBase is cross platform, those will happen before iCloud.

But i do agree that it would be nice to have an iCloud backup/sync solution for iDevices and Macs.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dramagurl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:41 am

I have only been using HanDBase for a week or so, and have created a new database. When I add new records to the database and I sync databases, my new records disappear, and the only my original records remain. What could I be doing wrong?
dramagurl

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch