Desktop Connect failure on 2 iPads

Discussions for the HanDBase for iPad and it's conduits and desktop add-ons

Desktop Connect failure on 2 iPads

Postby glenwf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:23 pm

I wanted to transfer 2 new databases and update 1 from an iPod Touch 5 to an iPad. I do all my work on my iPod Touch and need to give my wife files from time to time on her iPad.

The first transfer went well, but the second (and all succeeding attempts) failed yesterday. So I altered the databases, synced with my desktop, to verify the logs looked normal for those files, and then tried again today. So I tried it on the iPad Mini and got the same results after the initial transfer of one file.

The behavior is
1. Activate the Desktop Connect on my iPod Touch 5.
2. Run Sarfai on iPad (either one).
3. Get the web page provided by my iPod
4. Select the file I want to download on the web page and get the page that allows me to "Open in HanDBase"
5. Select "Open in HanDBase" link and it jumps to HanDBase.
6. The HanDBase screen shows the "Tips for Getting Around" screen.
7. There is no transfer of file to HanDBase.

iPod Touch 5 - iOS 9.3.5 - HanDBase 4.9.073 2016.9.17.1
iPad Mini iOS = 9.3.5 HanDBase ver = 4.9,073 216.9.17.1
iPad2 iOS = 11.2.2 HanDBase ver = 4.9,073 216.9.17.1

Is there anyway I can reset the connection so I can continue to keep HanDBase files synced with my iPod? I have also tried to email the file to the iPads, and I am unable to get the files to connect with HanDBase that way either.

Thanks for any help.
glenwf

Re: Desktop Connect failure on 2 iPads

Postby curtterp » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Question - Why not use the Desktop and share the database with the other devices? Just wondering.

Anyhow, using connect between devices is something I never thought of. I had to read your post a couple of different times to finally understand what you were doing. It wasn't an issue on how to wrote it, it was an issue with the old fart brain inside my head didn't comprehend it the first time around.

I did a test between my iPhone X and iPad Pro 10.5, both running 11.2.5. I did confirm the same issue, the first attempt worked, but everything after did not work.

The work around that I found was that if you force close HanDBase on the receiving device, then go back to Safari and press 'Open in HanDBase', the file will transfer. Yes it is a pain in the butt, but it does work and you can get the databases transferred.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby glenwf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Thank you so much. Didn't think of that solution.

I have confirmed that solution does solve the problem and I can get the job done. Now I've just got to remember that 6 months from now when I do it again... I've never looked into the sharing thing because I update the file so infrequently. Something to look at.
glenwf

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Actually this was one of the usage scenarios I thought more customers would try and so early on I used to test this scenario before releases. I will add this to the bug list and hopefully address- no reason it shouldn't still work, but there must be a bug somewhere- sorry about that!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPad