Unable to Vary Text Selection

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Unable to Vary Text Selection

Postby MidCoast Jim » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 am

Hi All!

Specs: current HDB version 4.9.075 2018.1.16.1 on a US Cellular 256 GB iPhone 8 running IOS 11.2.5 Shoe: 9 1/2 EEEE

I wanted to report that I have recently been unable to vary selected text in an HDB record as easily as just a few weeks ago, if at all.

A long finger tap and hold in a text field results in the expected pop-up menu: " Select | Select All | Paste ". "Select All" works as usual and expected = all of the text in the field is selected/highlighted. Tapping "Select" also functions normally = the word under the cursor, or word closest to the cursor, is selected.

But, it is when I choose "Select" and then attempt to change the selected characters that I run into trouble. If I am VERY careful I seem to sometimes be able to grab the left side of the blue highlighted text and drag it left or right, enlarging or shrinking the selection. But, more often than not I wind up dragging away a copy of the selected word which then inserts itself into the field wherever it is when I "release it".

Meanwhile, I am very sure I have never been able to drag the right side of the selection left or right, up or down -- expanding or shrinking the selection.

I have tried to use "Select All" as a work-around. But, again, while I am able to drag the left end of the selection, I cannot grab the right handle.

Dave, I read in another thread that you were recently posting an update that would improve text selection and editing. Maybe the improvement is not agreeing with my setup for some reason.

As always, I will appreciate all discussion and suggestions.

Jim in Maine, USA
Attachments
IMG_4919.jpg
selected text in HanDBase text field
IMG_4919.jpg (69.34 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
— ...old dog still learning new tricks
MidCoast Jim

Re: Unable to Vary Text Selection

Postby curtterp » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:04 am

I can confirm that this is happening on both my iPhone X and my iPad Pro 10.5.

both running 11.2.5
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby MidCoast Jim » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:26 am

Hello Curt curtterp --

Thanks for your confirmation that it's not JUST ME ...always a great worry.

I too have now confirmed that I have the same problem on the much larger screen of my iPad Air -- also now running IOS 11

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby MidCoast Jim » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 am

Okay -- awfully quiet out there

I thought I would add that this text selection problem seems to be isolated to HanDBase text entry/edit.

In other apps (e.g. Notes, Messages, gMail ...) I am able to "grab" the beginning and ending "handles" of a selection text and then shrink or extend the selection.

Jim in Maine
MidCoast Jim

Postby Dlevymd1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Hello,

I’m a long time HanDBase user and I am experiencing the exact same issue. It occurs in the note field (not the text fields) and only if you are not using a form. One workaround is to create a form for your database. I really hope they fix this very soon because it does interfere with the functionality of this otherwise incredible database app. Previous versions did not have this issue.

Regards,

Dan
Dlevymd1

Postby MidCoast Jim » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi Dan —

Dlevymd1 wrote:
.....It occurs in the note field (not the text fields) and only if you are not using a form. One workaround is to create a form for your database. ....

Dan

I have just tested your comment that the problem only occurs in note fields and NOT text fields.

I must report that on my iPhone 8 I experience the problem in both note and text field types.

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Hey,

Sorry for being late to the party! Indeed this is a bug it seems. I think the factor that makes it work sometimes is if there is only one line of text. I tried it when the first person reported it and could move things around fine but now I am seeing the problem too! I've added it to my list to fix and hope to get to it in the next week or two. Along with 2 other smaller bugs this could be part of a bug fix update. Sorry about this and I will keep you posted!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby MidCoast Jim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 am

Hi Dave!

I'm guessing the problem has something to do with "drag and drop" being added to IOS 11.

When I try to "grab" a selection's left or right "handles I often see that I have pulled away a tiny "bubble" containing the selected text. The theory would be that I can drag the bubble to wherever I want to paste the contained text. Unfortunately, on the iPhone's small screen it is very difficult to see "under" my finger tip so as to know exactly where the text will be pasted.

While the "old way" of copying/moving text:
  • place the cursor,
  • selecting the popped up "Select",
  • adjusting the selection by dragging the left and right handles
  • selecting "Cut" (or "Copy")
  • re-positioning the cursor
  • clicking on "Paste"
is, for sure, a littler ponderous, it does allow you to exactly position where the incoming text will be deposited.

If the solution to the current problem means turning off the new ability to create, drag and drop "text balloons" , I'll opt for the old way.

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch