Capitalization of first word in a field

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Capitalization of first word in a field

Postby Thomas Daniel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:50 am

In other iPhone apps, there is a way of specifying that the first word in a field or note begin with a capital letter and that after a period plus a space, the next word begin with a capital letter automatically. I haven't found a way of doing that in HanDBase. Is there a place where that can be done in HanDBase or is that hidden somewhere in iOS settings or is it just impossible? A related question... Is there a way of specifying that all the letters in a field be capitals? (This would be handy for Canadian postal codes which are in the format X#X #X#, capital letters with a number in between). Thanks for considering my question. Please don't flame me if this question seems so be simplistic, stupid or if I've posted in the wrong category. Thanks!
Thomas Daniel

Re: Capitalization of first word in a field

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post- nothing stupid about any of it! (and I wouldn't flame you if it was either ;) )

So there are not any options in HanDBase for auto capitalization at this moment. It's something I have wished for in my databases as well. Back when the last format update to the database happened auto capitalization options didn't really exist (this predated the original iPhone and Android device announcements!). Since the format itself doesn't have a place for it, it's quite difficult to add support for this without an update to the format. This is something that is way overdue to happen. It's also a ton of work to update all of the apps to under the new format change. The best chance of seeing this in the future is within the forms designer since then it can be tied to a form element and not the database format itself. It's something I have been considering adding, though I can't make any promises at this point.

But at least you know now that you're not missing some setting within the fields setup! Sorry I don't have better news in this regard.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Daniel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Thank you!!!
Thomas Daniel

Postby jjohnson873 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:52 pm

I'd also like this option of being able to turn on capitalization of each word in a field. Or the option to capitalizing all letters of words in a field.
jjohnson873

Return to HanDBase General Discussion