iPad & iPhone sync?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

iPad & iPhone sync?

Postby cwhowell2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi - I've been using HanDBase for a couple years on my iPad Air. No problems and I just installed the recent update. I have thought it would be nice if I could share a database between the iPad and my iPhone 6+. Is this possible? Do I just put the database on iCloud and have both devices open the same one? Or is there another way to sync records? Thanks - Bill
cwhowell2

Re: iPad & iPhone sync?

Postby cwhowell2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 am

I guess this means no? Is there no way to share a database between devices?
cwhowell2

Postby curtterp » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:29 pm

There are a couple of ways to do this.

If you have HanDBase Desktop, you can set it up as a shared database and every time you sync both devices, each gets the changes. The desktop documentation has good instructions on how to set this up

If you don't have the desktop, then you can email the database to the email that the device can access. Send the database as an attachment, and then on the other device, open in HanDBase. HanDBase will sync the database into the existing database on that device.

The caveat. If you have changes on both devices, you will need to email from one device to the other, then send an email from the second device to the first.

Right now, there is no way to put a database on any cloud and have the devices point to that location. Dave has talked about he would like to have that as a solution at some point, but he hasn't found the best way for him to do it, and he doesn't have as much time right now to put more research into it.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby cwhowell2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do use PCs but was hoping to confine my database apps to iPhone and iPad. Maybe someday an iCloud version will be available.
cwhowell2

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi,

Sorry I missed your original post! Indeed it would be nice- it's a feature so many of us have longed for, including me (the developer)! I hope to one day be able to find a way to make that level of time investment to deliver something like this. In the meantime, Curt's suggestions above are the best options we have!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby craftEcowgirl » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am

Please add feature to allow easier syncing as through cloud etc. Many other apps allow this and this should work this way also.
craftEcowgirl

Postby Delfi_r » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:21 pm

ddhsoftwareadmin wrote:Hi,

Sorry I missed your original post! Indeed it would be nice- it's a feature so many of us have longed for, including me (the developer)! I hope to one day be able to find a way to make that level of time investment to deliver something like this. In the meantime, Curt's suggestions above are the best options we have!

Voting for this option too, and some suggestions:

- you can develop the icloud sync as an extension, I would pay it for the iPad and the iPhone
- as soon you have it, the Mac version (someday you’ll can have a new version with images) can have the icloud syncing as a paid extension too.
- or you can use Dropbox as a recipient of the shared backups and you have more platforms available (not just iPhones, iPads and Macs)

In the meantime I’ll pay for the iPhone version and try the email approach
Delfi_r

Postby dityeez » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:39 am

craftEcowgirl wrote:Please add feature to allow easier syncing as through cloud etc. Many other apps allow this and this should work this way also.

It would be great if we can share database across different devices. Currently, we have to use third-party app to do that.

Thanks
Last edited by dityeez on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dityeez

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks for your posts voicing interest in a cloud solution. I have commented on this in many other threads- I 100% agree it would be great to have this feature! It's something I've worked on long before smart phones in fact, but not something that's ever been released as an add-on product for HanDBase unfortunately. Early on that was because I hadn't reached what I felt was the ideal implementation for all users, but more recently is has to do with my limited time/resources for HanDBase development. HanDBase is not a full time endeavor for me any longer- I keep the app updated with the latest OS support and add features as I can, but with a full time job elsewhere I haven't been able to put in the level of time required for a proper cloud sync solution across all of HanDBase's platforms.

I _really_ hope I can get some time to make this happen in the next year- I know it would be a great feature and something I believe would serve many users well. But I can't make any promises to this effect just yet- I'll let you know if and when the cloud sync is underway.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby ArGiEs » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 pm

Keep up the good work, Dave! Thanks for still supporting the product!
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch