Read only on cell phone

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Read only on cell phone

Postby howard » Wed May 09, 2018 8:14 am

How can I make the data on my android cell phone android read only? Changes would only originate on my desk top and synced to the cell phone.
Thank you.
howard

Re: Read only on cell phone

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat May 12, 2018 9:43 am

Hi,

The best way to accomplish this is to create a form that doesn't allow editing (ie, uses text labels instead of edit boxes) and set it to be the start form for existing records- only on mobile devices. Then on the desktop the form won't display and you'll be able to edit it!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: Read only on cell phone

Postby mjhanna » Sun May 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Don't forget that you can also set the options on the desktop sync to only sync "from" the desktop "to" the phone. Thus any editing that might have (inadvertently) been done on the phone will be overwritten the next time you sync.

In addition, I think? the Access Permissions could help. (Tap and hold the database name in the list, then choose Properties, then Security Settings.) I haven't tried this but maybe you could set the database to not require a password to open and view the data, but require a password to do anything else. If the phone user knows the password it does not prevent them from using it to do edits on the phone, so it is not truly read-only. But this might be enough?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Return to HanDBase for Android