"192.168.0.16 refused to connect."

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

"192.168.0.16 refused to connect."

Postby xizzles » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 am

Hello. I just purchased the HandDBase app for iOS and I tried transferring my old .pdb files (from an obsolete Palm) over to the application as instructed, using the http://192.168.0.16:8080 link. I'm running Windows 10 and despite multiple attempts, I keep getting the "192.168.0.16 refused to connect." error.

Please advise on what can I do - else I'll have to email Apple for a refund as I can't get this app to run.

Thank you!
xizzles

Re: "192.168.0.16 refused to connect."

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:01 am

Hi there,

Thanks for writing. Remember that HanDBase doesn't currently use any cloud or internet hosted website to perform this connection- it is between your computer and the device itself. So when you are getting an error like this, it is usually because your computer and the device are not on the same network (eg, you may be using a different wifi hotspot, or your computer may be plugged to a wired network with a different router than the wifi users (and hence your iPhone) connect to. One way to check this is to go to: http://www.whatismyip.com from your windows computer.
On that site it will mention something like this:
Your Local IP is: 192.168.1.109

Your local IP is the address of your windows computer on its local network. If the first three numbers (eg, 192.168.1) don't match the first three numbers given by HanDBase, then they are indeed not on the same router, and you will have to connect your windows computer to the same one in order to connect.

Two other possibilities- your wireless router can be blocking connections between devices on the same network. This can be set/controlled via the wifi network's settings, and unfortunately the setup is quite different between each router so its beyond my abilities to help much in this regard.

Another possibility is that Windows is blocking connections to port 8080 or its being used by some other program on the windows computer. This is very unlikely but I have seen it happen before. For this one you'd have to visit your firewall settings to see if anything is being blocked.

If none of the above helps, you can always transfer your databases one of many other ways:

- Email the files to yourself and then in the iOS mail app, open the attachments when you do you'll get a prompt to open them in HanDBase which will install them.
- Save them to drop box or iCloud drive, or google drive, and using that appropriate iOS app, open the attachment into HanDBase.
- Use iTunes File Sharing option when your device is connected via a usb cable. You can see HanDBase listed there and then use the add button to add the PDB files to HanDBase directly.

Hope this helps!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase General Discussion