Switching from Handbase to Tap Forms – importing linked reco

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Switching from Handbase to Tap Forms – importing linked reco

Postby adamlevine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi there

I have been using Handbase for years, since the Palm OS days, and really like it but for one thing that made me finally switch: lack of cloud sync.

So I just purchased Tap Forms for Mac and iPhone and am starting to transfer my data. I have “databases” (=Tap Forms “forms”?) with “pop up” fields (=Tap Forms “pick lists”?) and fields linked to other databases (aka forms). (I’m just trying to confirm that I understand the terminology in Tap Forms.)

I have searched the forum, but haven’t found answers to my questions so here goes.

I suspect there is no way to export linked forms from Handbase in a similar way as Bento (i.e. template), so I’m looking for some advice. For my database with a popup field, I exported the database (aka form) to csv and then created a separate csv with a list of all the unique pop up (pick list) choices. One question is, should I recreate a form with pick list field or should I make 2 forms with a “link to form” field instead?

(It is my passwords database. The field “password” has a pop up/pick list with a list of all the passwords I use. I want to import the data and continue to add to it.)

I was trying to create two forms and create a field in one with a link to the second. I realized that I don’t have a link field (i.e. a key), so I was thinking I’m going to have to create a new field that is linked to the passwords form and then manually go through each record and pick from each list using the imported text field. I have over 600 records, so it seems daunting. And I don’t think I did it correctly anyway – I linked the forms, but in the parent form, the child form is marked “0” records, but the child form has all the records.

Second question is, should I use pick list instead? If so, can I import a pick list? I know I would also have to go through manually picking each password for each record, so it’s still not ideal.

I saw some mentions of using another program to create record IDs and then linking them in Tap Forms. Are there any instructions on how to do this? I don’t know if there is a way to see the field in Handbase that contains the link info it uses.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
adamlevine

Return to HanDBase General Discussion