Password access not being applied

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Password access not being applied

Postby jdata » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:06 pm

I have Handbase Pro installed on my android Galaxy S9 smartphone.
In security I have stipulated a password for access to a database. When the database is accessed, the box for an access password to be entered comes up, but if I make no entry and simply click on OK, the records in the database are displayed. So despite an access password being required, this is being ignored with loss of security of my confidential information.
The phone is opened by finger print Touch ID.
Any ideas on how I can make the access password stick?
Thanks
jdata

Re: Password access not being applied

Postby curtterp » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 pm

Are you setting the access permission? That is the setting just below setting the password

Just want to make sure that you have setting set.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 am

Hi,

To expand on what Curt mentioned, setting the password doesn't restrict access, it just lets you assign the password. The Access Permission section lets you define what access is protected by the above password- you can set the password to be required to open a database, delete a database, add a record, etc. It's very flexible in that regard.

However, I also want to add that if you're using this for any sensitive data you want to protect, this is a very rudimentary protection- someone can still take the database file and look at it with a binary editor to see the data in your database. If you're looking to protect passwords or anything that a hacker would be interested in, you may want to use the encryption feature instead- in this case, the password itself is used to encrypt the fields that are marked for encryption. Then if someone tries to look at the data in the database file, the data is scrambled. I recommend this functionality for anything like passwords, account numbers, etc.

Hope this helps!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby jdata » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Sorry for the delay in response but your replies went to an old email address.
Yes, I was failing to set the access permission. It now works as I anticipated. I have also set encryption as you suggest as an extra level of security.
Many thanks
jdata

Postby curtterp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:47 pm

jdata wrote:Sorry for the delay in response but your replies went to an old email address.
Yes, I was failing to set the access permission. It now works as I anticipated. I have also set encryption as you suggest as an extra level of security.
Many thanks

Glad that it works as you expected.

You can change the email address in the user control panel->Profile->Edit account settings.

There you will find the email address, which you can change. Don't forget to confirm the changes.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby jdata » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:44 am

One thing I notice is that it is important to close down the app after use. Otherwise the records remain visible to anyone maliciously picking up the phone without your knowledge if the phone has not been switched off.
jdata

Return to HanDBase for Android