encrypted Field Using Face ID

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

encrypted Field Using Face ID

Postby dayo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:26 am

Hi
I've just upgraded to an iPhone XS with ios12
Some of my databases have encrypted fields and on my previous iPhone 6S I was able to decrypt the fields using TouchID instead of a saved password

I've tried the same using FaceID on my new phone but the app crashes each time. I am now having to manually enter the password when required I've upgraded my old phone to ios12 and can still decrypt the fields using TouchID so it would appear the problem is with FaceID

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks
dayo

Re: encrypted Field Using Face ID

Postby curtterp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:03 am

I have been testing TouchID/FaceID since it was introduced. I have yet to have HanDBase crash on any of my test databases, including the databases I just synced to my iPhone XS Max yesterday.

**Quick simplified explanation**
The way that TouchID works with apps, is that the app sends an authorization request to the secure enclave. The secure enclave requests the input from the user, checks against the data stored, then passes back a 'pass' or 'fail'.

If the app receives a pass, then it continues to do what it was told to do. If it receives a 'fail', then the app refuses to go further.
**end of explanation**

FaceID works the same way. HanDBase doesn't know if you using Touch or Face ID.

Here is a quick test.
Make a brand new database from scratch with a couple of fields.
Make a text field encrypted, put in a password, and enable TouchID.
Add a couple of records to it.
Go out of the database, then back into it

If FaceID works to unencrypt the field, then you might be looking at the start of database corruption.
If HanDBase exits, then you might want to back up all your databases, uninstall HanDBase, then reinstall HanDBase. Sync your databases back to your iPhone and try again.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 am

Hi there,

As Curt said (in a way much better than I could have said it!), HanDBase doesn't really know the difference between touch or face ID- we enable the call to the security function and it handles whether its touch or face ID that does the verification. That doesn't mean your issue isn't related to face ID, as you are on iOS12 and a newer device, but on my iPhone X and iOS12 using FaceID, I'm still able to do this just fine. So let's try what Curt said first, and see if that has any other level of success. Let us know!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby dayo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi I've tried the advice given - creating a new database and encrypting one field still getting crashes when trying to decrypt the record. I've deleted and reinstalled handbase but I'm still getting the same problem with handbase crashing on attempts to decrypt an encrypted field in a record.

I'll try setting my device up as a new phone tomorrow and repeating the above to see how things go.

Thanks
dayo

Postby curtterp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:17 pm

One more thing to try before a complete redo, is the cold boot the phone

Go to Settings->General, then go to the bottom and press 'Shut Down'. Drag the slider to the right and the phone will power off.

Wait a full minute, then press the power button until you see the apple icon, then let go. Input your passcode and try it again.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:57 pm

After some experimentation I was able to duplicate the problem. It didn't happen for us, because it happens during the enrollment phase (ie, when you first check the box to enable Touch ID/Face ID). So if you were using it before the update, it will probably keep working for you, but otherwise, you'll get the issue. Apparently Apple added a new setting we have to add in the .plist file to explain why we want to access Face ID. They have these for the camera, photos, maps, and now they appear to have added it for Face ID. Instead of giving a nice message they just crash the app!

So I've built up a new version and am starting up the beta test process for it. Since submitting the last version I had updated the SDK to use the latest tools and so I want to give a good chance for the testers to see if any issues come up with this build.

If you're experiencing this issue and want to work around it:

1.  Uncheck the use touch ID option for now until the update comes out.  You'll have to type in your password in the interim.

2.  I can add you to the beta team- you'll get an invite and instructions to install the beta.  

Please let me know if you want to be part of the beta team- you can email support @ ddhsoftware.com and request the beta.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby dayo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for the prompt update on the situation .

Must say I have always been impressed with the service from the team. I've been a long time user from palm pilot days. I must admit I don't handbase as much now (due to change in my job roles), but I still find nothing else works as well as mobile database.

Looking forward to the new update

Just one more thing. Any chase of adding a share database option? Would be so much easier to share databases between iOS devices using airdrop / message function

Thanks
dayo

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi Dayo,

Thanks for the very kind words- while the response was quick this time, I must admit it hasn't always been this way. Trying to do better!

Regarding the share function- it's already there! Just tap the ... button for a database in the list view. There is an open in... function which will let you send the database file via airdrop, email, messages, etc.!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby graemesmith1960 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Just came across this issue today. I've changed from an iPhone 8 to an Xs and the exact issue popped up when I tried to access my TouchID protected databases. Really glad to see that you are already on top of the problem. I've been using HandBase since WindowsCE days and really appreciate the speed of your support. Thanks
graemesmith1960

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi,

I apologize for the issue- the fix was just released this evening, so hopefully the update will show up soon on your new iPhone. Very sorry for the inconvenience!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch