HanDBase 4.2.0 submitted to app store today

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: HanDBase 4.2.0 submitted to app store today

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:36 pm

lagunacreek wrote:Will there be an update of the desktop software or will these new features (phone number / photos) only be available on the iPhone? (Or is it already incorporated in the Windows Desktop version?)
thanks

External field plugins are developed per device, which is kind of why they are relegated to this field type. That said there are already image plugins for the desktop available, plus the HanDBase Forms designed support images as well. Phone number dialing doesn't quite make sense in the windows desktop, at least on most desktops, but I'm sure a plugin could be done for this.

That said, the Desktop Connect mode does support downloading the images as a single zip (archive) file. I also plan to make the conduit aware of this and have it auto backup the files.
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 pm

rprasad wrote:Can't you just change "Take Picture" to "Get Picture" or "Add Picture", then either go to Photos automatically or, if a camera is available, give the user a choice of where to go?

Yes indeed I can and thought about this when implementing it. I thought it best to add that as a separate plugin option in the future since some applications may not want to select the photo but rather force you to take one on the spot. For example, if the photo was to document that an employee really visited a site, you'd not want them to select it from a list again. So I plan on adding another plugin that would be a super image plugin, and allow choosing a photo or taking a picture as a menu option. Not much work to implement this and I thought it would make for a more complete feature!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:43 pm

A further update to this:
The app was rejected by Apple again. :o I'm beginning to wonder why HanDBase is suddenly being scrutinized so by their testers. Honestly these are the first two rejections I've ever received. Even the first submission was accepted no problem!

This time the failure was because the tester didn't set up the field properly. He did not choose a text, note, or DB Popup field (ie, those that store text values) for the file name to be stored in, and thus when he took a picture, the file name was not saved. He said that the photo picker and camera plugins did not function as designed.

I replied to Apple, but from what I've read, they almost never read or respond to those responses, and thus I had to make the app tell the user when they select a camera or photo picker if the field was not set up properly. I just implemented this and resubmitted, but alas, at least another week. I hope and pray I don't get another rejection! And apologies to you for the further delays. :(
dhaupert

Postby Astroman33 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:05 am

Dave, much appreciate the inside baseball you're providing on the app review process. I suppose they're being extra careful on any apps taking advantage of the new inter-communication, but it also sounds as if they're nit-picking some things that would be fairly obvious to the end user! Glad you're hanging in there on it.

As to future upgrade plans, are they any to include the Report functions that were in the Palm version? Perhaps with an option to export to the notebook?
Astroman33

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:59 am

Astroman33 wrote:Dave, much appreciate the inside baseball you're providing on the app review process. I suppose they're being extra careful on any apps taking advantage of the new inter-communication, but it also sounds as if they're nit-picking some things that would be fairly obvious to the end user! Glad you're hanging in there on it.

As to future upgrade plans, are they any to include the Report functions that were in the Palm version? Perhaps with an option to export to the notebook?

Hi,

I've always wanted to share these sorts of details, but on the Yahoo group, I didn't want to overwhelm people of other platforms with too much info from another platform. Now that it's separate, we can take advantage of it!

In regards to the reports, yes, indeed, it's one of the top 5 feature requests we get, so it's definitely planned. While I unfortunately can't export to the notes app (they don't have a programming interface to do so), I can make it possible to email it, which I'll do. I'd also like to enhance the quality of the reports. Something that was long overdue on the other platforms!
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch