Date Dialed ?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Date Dialed ?

Postby johnnybyron » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:30 am

I have a phone number DB with a field for dial that dials the number. Any way to have a separate date and or time field that would store the date and time you dialed the number automatically? I do not see a way to auto populate these fields. For the Date field you could set to date record modified but I am not sure dialing a number causes a trigger of record modified.

Suggestions appreciated,
thanks
johnnybyron

Re: Date Dialed ?

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:59 am

Hi,

I can't think of a way to automatically update the date stamp of a record when a dial event happens. I have tried- created a test database and tried with forms as well but haven't found a trick to make this happen!

Your best bet would be to use a form since the form lets you go right to the 'Edit' mode (whereas the normal View record comes up first when there is no form) and your modified date would be automatically set when you close the record with the OK button. But of course you'd have to know that you should press cancel if you didn't press the 'dial' action.

Sorry there isn't a better solution!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Re: Date Dialed ?

Postby mjhanna » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:24 pm

I haven't tried this, but since an Edit mode on a Form can set the date maybe this would work.

Make the original Form have a button that says "Dial" but does not do that action. Instead it will "jump to" a custom Form in Edit mode. That Form would display the phone number to use, but be like an "are you sure" screen with Yes/No. The No would be the Cancel which I "think?" would return to the original Form without saving the date. The Yes would be the OK which I "think?" would save the date and "jump to" another custom Form in View mode. That second Form would display the phone number but only have two buttons: the Dial action button and a "Close" button. Dial would do the dial action and leave you on this Form. The Close button would "jump" back to the original Form. A couple extra buttons to click, but "maybe" something like this would be preferred?

Like the other suggestion which requires one to remember to click Cancel if you did not actually dial, with this suggestion if you click "Yes" then the date is updated even if you do not subsequently actually dial. Each method has its problems.

Hope this gives you ideas,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch