Linking records within database

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Linking records within database

Postby LarryR » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 am

I can’t figure out how to do what I want to do. Before I spend a lot more time on this, I’d like to know if it’s even possible with Handbase.

I have a shopping list database. The database has two checkbox fields and several text fields (name of item, brand, aisle, etc.) The first checkbox field is called "Need?", and the second checkbox field is called "In cart." A first view, Create List, displays every record and the "Need?" checkbox and is sorted alphabetically. This is where I go through my list of all possible items and check off the ones I need. A second view, the Shoppng List, lists only those items where "Need?" Is checked. This second view shows only the item name and the "In cart" checkbox, and is sorted by aisle. This is the view I use at the store.

Okay, here's my problem. Let's say an item could be called more than one name, for example, "wing sauce," or "Buffalo hot sauce." Maybe one user thinks of it as Wing Sauce and looks for it under "W" to add to the shopping list. If he can’t find it and doesn’t think to look for it under "B" (for Buffalo), the temptation is to add a new record to the list for Wing Sauce."

No problem so far, except for an unnecessary record being added to the database. But if the person or another user goes item-by-item down the long alphabetical list, they might check Buffalo, but by the time they get to the W's, forget they’ve already checked off Buffalo hot sauce and also check off Wing Sauce. Now a single item appears twice on my Shopping List.

Here's what I want to do, Is there any way to connect two records, such that if both are checked off, only one appears on the Shopping List?

Thanks.
LarryR

Re: Linking records within database

Postby mjhanna » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:25 pm

I can't think of a way to do this using a single database file in HandDBase.

However, thinking off the top of my head it seems the issue is that you have a single item, but it has multiple aliases, so you want all these aliases to be equivalent. I think this might work if the Need/Shop database was separate from the Items database of separate potential items. The Items database could be used as a DB Popup to fill in the item name in each new record in the Need/Shop database. You might be able to use the "group" attribute of a DB Popup field to pull in the aliases. From the User's Guide:

"By setting this value to something other than 0 (0 disables this feature), you can assign multiple DB Popups, up to 10, to the same group. Then, whenever any of the DB Popups in a group are selected and a record in the other database is selected, all items in the same group will be filled out automatically with their appropriate field values."

Not sure how you would implement this, but this might give you ideas to explore possible solutions.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Return to HanDBase General Discussion