starter question - sync

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

starter question - sync

Postby panini » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:40 am

Hi everyone!

Still time to wish you all a splendid 2019!

My question:
- recently I found myself in a situation that required a database solution on iOS. I did a search but for one reason or another did not run accross HanDBase.. So at that time I gave up..
- today, I am happy to stumble over HanDBase again!
However sync with a desktop version or accross iOS and Android devices is quite important, but I can't seem to find any specific mention of sync capabilities?

Can you confirm that:
- sync is possible
- sync works properly
- sync works cross platform

Any pointer to more detail welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Erwin
Last edited by panini on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
panini

Re: starter question - sync

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for writing and glad you found us! Indeed there is a sync capability with desktops- it is not a cloud based sync like you may have expected and are used to from other products but it works over the wifi connection between your computer and the devices. More info on these packages are here:

iOS Sync: http://ddhsoftware.com/handbase_iPhone.html

Android Sync: http://ddhsoftware.com/handbaseandroid.html

In both cases refer to the leftmost blue callout box on each page where you can click to get more information depending on your desktop OS.

Please let us know if you have any questions!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby curtterp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Just to add a couple of things.

Each Device syncs to its own folder, but with HanDBase Desktop, you can share between devices, including cross-platform. There is a section on this in the HanDBase Manual.

You can sync by sending a database via email that the device can access, but if the database gets very large, while it works, but it takes a while. The Desktop sync is the best way to go.

The sync with the desktop is really quick. I have a database with Maximum Records (64999 records) which is just shy of 9mbs in size, and it takes less than 45 seconds to sync from my iMac or MacBook Pro. Most databases take less than 10 seconds to sync.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

starter question - DEVONTHINK

Postby panini » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:57 am

Thanks guys for your answers. I'll think it through.
There's a couple of more that jump to mind right now:

- Any advice on which ebook reader does a good job on sharing / clipping / copying to Handbase?
- I'm using Devonthink on the Mac fairly intesively. Devontechnologies have a really good sync mechanism in place too.
Once you understand the mechanics of it.
They have an iOS version too. Since the more recent versions this became workable, but I still do have sync issues.

Maybe I can have a look at importing into Handbase.
But let's first get started with Handbase.
I'll keep you posted.

Erwin
panini

Postby siyavarma » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 am

curtterp wrote:Just to add a couple of things.

Each Device syncs to its own folder, but with HanDBase Desktop, you can share between devices, including cross-platform. There is a section on this in the HanDBase Manual.

You can sync by sending a database via email that the device can access, but if the database gets very large, while it works, but it takes a while. The Desktop sync is the best way to go.

The sync with the desktop is really quick. I have a database with Maximum Records (64999 records) which is just shy of 9mbs in size, and it takes less than 45 seconds to sync from my iMac or MacBook Pro. Most databases take less than 10 seconds to sync.

Thanks for your valuable reply.very well done.good day
siyavarma

Return to HanDBase General Discussion