Facebook SDKs within HanDBase?!

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Facebook SDKs within HanDBase?!

Postby Astroman33 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:51 am

I was recovering an earlier version of a database this morning (using iExplorer 2), when I happened to see that within HanDBase's Library were three SDKs for Facebook!

com-facebook-sdk-AppEventsPersistedEvents.json

com-facebook-sdk-AppEventsTimeSpent

com-facebook-sdk-PersistedAnonymousID

Dave, what is going on with that? I do not want to have anything to do with Facebook; nor did I ever agree to permit it. I especially do not want my data, my backups, any content, or my HDB usage being transmitted to Facebook, even if supposedly "anonymously".

Why would you have anything to do with Facebook given that HanDBase is used by people for managing their own data, often personal, business, and private?

I hope that you can delete these SDKs and have nothing to do with an organization that is inherently corrupt, monetizing people's personal data, abusing basic privacy regulations, complicit in electoral malfeasance, and undermining democracy.
Astroman33

Re: Facebook SDKs within HanDBase?!

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi there,

Wow, thank you for posting this and bringing this to light! I did add the Facebook SDK to be able to attribute an ad click from their app to a purchase of our app. The way Facebook sells ads is that in theory you only pay when a person buys the app after clicking one of their ads- seemed like a good idea so I added the SDK to make this possible. I didn't agree to them tracking anything else but the ad clicks. I suppose those frameworks are added as part of every integration with Facebook, whether its being used or not.

At any rate, I'm going to remove these frameworks and all of the Facebook integration. I added these a few years ago before all of this crazy stuff came out against them and I have not advertised with them in years either.

From reading about the framework, they offer an analytics platform, where developers can see what sort of behaviors you are doing within the app- which sections you spend the time in, how many launches you have etc. I can tell you that probably 99% of the apps you use are using Google Analytics, Apple App Store Analytics, or some other analytics like Facebook. It's anonymized data and used only in aggregate and its part of the standard license agreement that accompanies all software on the App Store. I have only used the Apple App Store one for HanDBase and it helps me see how many users there still are in the app, how many hours a day people use the app, etc., and Apple has a global opt-out of this data for all apps within the privacy section of the phone.

I'm very sorry for not removing this sooner- frankly until you mentioned this I didn't even know these SDKs were included with that ad tracker.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase General Discussion