Database content scrambled, changed. What can one do?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Database content scrambled, changed. What can one do?

Postby Astroman33 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:36 am

This morning, I changed the Field Type of a SINGLE variable from Floating to Integer. When I realized that ends up preventing a Report from showing an average with any decimals (!), I changed it back to Floating.

The variable was unaffected. The average worked fine. However, my database ended up ENTIRELY SCRAMBLED![<b>]

Entries for many variables had vanished; data for many records had been changed (!); data for certain variables had randomly been changed from small integers to very large ones; etc. [b]In other words, a complete mess.[<b>].

I have never seen anything like this with HanDBase before.

OK, I figured I could go back to a previous version of the database. No luck. When I opened up HanDBase Desktop (I'm on a Mac), it showed all my documents, including the one in question. However, when I opened up the older version of the database, it displayed the column headings but WITHOUT ANY ENTRIES!

I also went back to earlier version that I had exported via iTunes. Same problem.

Then, I rummaged inside the HanDBase documents folder and found an earlier version in the Backups folder. When I tried to open it, HDB balked claiming it was NOT a HanDBase document.

[b]As you can imagine, all this has been utterly dismaying.

I tried placing an earlier version into the HDB folder and synching; that failed. In fact, the earlier version no longer shows up in the HDB for Desktop doc list.

I am able to open the .pdb files in Text Edit and see that the information is there, but HDB cannot access it. I tried copying header information from the messed up document into the earlier version, thinking it might help HDB recognize it as one of its own. Nope, HDB for Desktop crashes when I try opening it.

I was going to say that the lesson is to never change any variable's Field Type without backing up the document first, but obviously that wouldn't have mattered as the older versions, the backed up versions, and the iTunes backed up versions can't be opened.

Any suggestions of how to recover my data? Any ideas of what happened?

It's a daily database that goes back an entire year, so it's important to recover the information.
Astroman33

Re: Database content scrambled, changed. What can one do?

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for writing and very sorry to hear of the mess you're finding your databases in right now. While I can't say that there has never been a corrupted database before I can safely say that I have never heard of someone having all of their databases files have corruption in them. Did you open each of those databases with the HanDBase or HanDBase Desktop running or did you restart it in between? My own thought is that maybe if the program was acting wonky it would show any database as corrupt when it opened. If that's the case, you may get a better result when you restart the desktop app completely.

Regarding the corrupt data, if you are able send it to our support email address we can take a look and see if its truly corrupt and if so we can attempt to repair it. If you do this, please send a few backups of the file as well which will help track the problem down.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch