How do I recover password after using Touch ID

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

How do I recover password after using Touch ID

Postby stephenc00 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:04 pm

I have used for years. Have ~500 passwords in a password protected database. Started using Touch ID. Now I don't remember the actual password to change it or get into linked copies. Probably have it in some other secret place, but so far, no luck finding. Any ideas how I recover it?
From Paradox comes Progress...
stephenc00

Re: How do I recover password after using Touch ID

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:37 am

Hi there,

First off, sorry for the delay- your posts were getting moderated as potential spam and only just noticed it to approve now. You should be able to post from here on out!

There are two ways a database is protected in HanDBase.  If you are using the Encryption feature to lock the database, there is no way to get the password or get access to the database without knowing the password.  That's part of the security of the design itself!  

However, if you are using Password protection, you can actually see the password if you open the database with a binary editor.  You'll have to scan through the first few pages of text but at some point in the file there is a password stored and hopefully it will be obvious to you when you see it among the scrambled mess of binary data!  

As for getting a binary editor, here is one for Windows:

https://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor

and one for Mac:

https://www.suavetech.com/0xed/

Best of luck and let me know how it goes for you!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby stephenc00 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Thank you, that worked! Took an hour, but worth it.

I really do appreciate the help. At last. It sucks to be labeled as SPAM. :(
From Paradox comes Progress...
stephenc00

Postby vedika31 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:11 am

Go to “Settings > Touch ID & Passcode”. You will be asked to enter the passcode.
Then, under “FINGERPRINTS”, you will see the name of your Touch ID you used. Click on it.
Tap “Delete Fingerprint” and it will delete the Touch ID from your iPhone.
vedika31

Postby Gennyswiss0 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:24 am

I have faced error like this during the ipod touch problems I was having. None of the id was working properly and was saying invalid id. It was not due to the problems in the device, but it solved with the fixing of those errors.
Gennyswiss0

Postby violetevergarden » Mon May 06, 2019 11:51 am

vedika31 wrote:Go to “Settings > Touch ID & Passcode”. You will be asked to enter the passcode.
Then, under “FINGERPRINTS”, you will see the name of your Touch ID you used. Click on it.
Tap “Delete Fingerprint” and it will delete the Touch ID from your iPhone.

i was using touch id to open my phone for a long time and i forgot my passcode, how can i open my phone? please help
violetevergarden

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun May 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi there,

Unfortunately the only option aside of guessing until it works, is to use a binary editor and inspect the PDB file data for what looks familiar. This option will only work If you're using if the more basic password protection option. If you used Encryption there is no copy of the password stored in the database, and there is no way other than getting the password right to get to the data again in that case.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase General Discussion