Will handbase work on Android P & Q

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Will handbase work on Android P & Q

Postby edwin2011 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:30 am

Subject says it all. It's so very quit that for the first time since a very long time I really starting to fear for the future of handbase on Android. I'm aware of the whole "software should be free issue" but I don't mind to pay or donate a fair price for a good peace of software and support.
So please provide a view into the future of handbase.
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Re: Will handbase work on Android P & Q

Postby GJHmf » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:49 am

HanDBase works on P, I can vouch for that - but not without its problems, well documented on this very forum.

Sadly, the developer no longer manages updates to this product as his main job, so updates are very sporadic. I can't fault Dave concentrating on his main job to put food on the table to be honest.

iPhone gets more love, but that's because users in that platform are more inclined to pay for apps than us Android users. There are facts to substantiate this, so.not a personal opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
GJHmf

Postby edwin2011 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 am

That's why I mentioned that I have no problem with a decent price for a good product. My Pie concerns are related to the sync to and from the computer. That in combination with very few activity by Dave on the forum makes me worried.
I do understand the problem Dave has, let there not be any mistake about it. I was also one of the group that suggested to do a one time donation to get things sorted.
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Postby GJHmf » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:31 am

Yes, I'm also worried about future updates, especially as I've been using HanDBase since the Palm Pilot days.

Syncing isn't an issue for me personally, but field duplication whilst navigating using the > button definitely is - and has been plaguing me since Android 7.

I've learnt avoidance measures until such a time development will recommence. Like others, I'm prepared to entertain a subscription model to re-energise things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
GJHmf

Postby Benji » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:53 pm

I too have been a HandBase user from the 2000s, with the first Palm release. Currently using a Note 8 sang in a week or so, three Note 10+.

I used the forms extensively, but on moving to Android gave up on it. Using Forms be good. But learning again would be required.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Benji

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi everyone,

This is a very valid discussion and I totally get your concern. I don't have any intention of abandoning support, but I have had such very little time to work on things the last few months especially due to my current job. It's a 50+ hour a week commitment with a very long commute so while I do have some hours over the weekend I almost never have the energy to really accomplish much. I also have some personal/family issues happening right now that I shouldn't really get into here.

That sounds really lame written out and I apologize sincerely for not having a solution already! One thing I can say is that I do have some more time available to me in the next few weeks so I'm hoping to make some progress. Right now though my top priority is the mac desktop version which is going to stop working when the next OSX desktop ships in September. So once I can solve for that, I can revisit syncing on Android.

Here's why that isn't an easy fix- in order to submit any updates to the Play store I need to be building against API 28, and right now I'm building against a very old API, and that means a lot of code has to be updated to the latest SDKs. That elaborate process is the prerequisite so then I can finally do the actually debugging and fix. I'll keep you posted on the progress, and I really appreciate how loyal and patient you have been- I promise I have not given up on HanDBase, just going through a lot at the moment work/health/family-wise, and its been a real challenge.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby edwin2011 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Allright Dave, fine with me. I'll try to hold off a new phone for now. Thank you for your honest communication.
Been here since the early days of palm pilot and had them all. Would be a shame to abandon handbase.
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Postby Gary51 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:36 am

Dave,
I just posted a reply on one of the similar threads.
I wish you the best with your personal issues, and can certainly understand the stresses trying to put 10# of S*** in a 5# sack.
I know you are sincere in your desire to help, so just a note of thanks for your product. (FWIW - add my name to those that would gladly pay a subscription price, if that would help)
Gary51

Return to HanDBase for Android