unable to load handbase using desktop

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Re: unable to load handbase using desktop

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:13 pm

BLees9700 wrote:I am a register user of HanDBase Professional 4 for Palm OS & I'm hoping to Cross Upgrade to the Blackberry version,
but have been unable to install the Demo. (I realize that no statement has been made that BB version 5 is supported.)

~From the Desktop:
1. What specific model number is your BlackBerry - BOLD 9700 v5.0.0.330 (Platform 5.1.0.91)
2. What country are you in? USA
3. Who is your cell/mobile provider? T-Mobile
4. What version of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager do you have installed. 5.0.1
5. Did you have HanDBase installed on your Device prior to upgrading to the 5.0 OS? Brand New Device, No prior versions or upgrades
6. When you manually selected the ALX file did you do so from C:\Program Files\HanDBase4\BlackBerry\ - YES

~I tried to use the OTA: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/files-demo/B ... nDBase.jad
I received an error: 'HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error'
Also a '404 not Found' error was encountered.

~I tried installing the jad from the media card & received the message: '907 Invalid COD File not found'

I'm not experienced enough with Blackberrys to know if its something I'm doing wrong... :oops:
I do have to wonder what Rim is waiting for in distributing the 5.0 Simulator. It's got to be real handicap to all developers...
My heart goes out to you David!

I'm sorry if this wasn't clear but the OTA download must be done through the Web Browser on your BlackBerry Device. The easiest thing to do at this point is just type in that full URL, or it might be easier to send it to your self in an email so you can just click that link.

I am seeing the error you mention when I use my Desktop Web Browser to go to this link and I'm looking into fixing that so that it might re-direct to a regular error page. However I don't get this when I enter that URL/link in the Browser on a BlackBerry Simulator. It immediately begins the download process there. Please try that and let me know if you continue to have problems.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:16 pm

bbinkerd wrote:I need to get a database for my Blackberry 9700, but I get the same message mentioned above about the alx file being incompatible with the device and won't install. Unfortunately, since I'm not a registered user, I don't believe I can get to the development builds. It would help to know that if I put out my hard-earned money for this fine product, if a version would eventually be available that would work on the 9700. If that's a true statement, then I'll buy right away and see what the development builds do.

Thanks.

We should be releasing the updated Trial builds this week. However, as indicated in an earlier post, you can use the OTA downloads to get the latest trial version. You will need to do this in the Browser on your device though, not through your desktop. In your case you'll use this OTA link:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/files-demo/BlackberryOTA/Other/HanDBase.jad

You can either type that into the Address bar of your Browser on your device or you can likely send that link in an email to yourself and be able to select the link from there to launch the Browser and go to that download link.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby bbinkerd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:33 pm

I manually typed in the URL in my Blackberry browser. I received an error that there were too many redirects and the action was cancelled. Being a lazy person anyway, I copy/pasted the URL into an email and sent it to the phone. This time the Blackberry browser gave me a 404 error.

Tell ya what... I'll just buy the software. Then if you don't get it working, I'll be within my rights to pound on a table and scream at the top of my lungs... er... keyboard.

Seriously, if you say that it'll work eventually, I'll trust you.

FWIW, this is a Blackberry 9700 on TMobile. At the time I attempted this, I was connected to my wireless router at home, so all my traffic was IP rather than cell.
bbinkerd

Postby bbinkerd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 pm

And just so you don't spend any more time...

I purchased the software, skipped the release version and went straight to development (heck--I'm a programmer, I live on the wild side). Installed the software on the desktop, and the Blackberry software installed just as smooth as could be wanted. I'm getting my databases transferred over as I type this.

Thanks for the assistance! You're a freakin' genius!!!!
bbinkerd

Postby BLees9700 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:45 am

David, I typed the info below the line before I saw your above post.

David wrote:
I'm sorry if this wasn't clear but the OTA download must be done through the Web Browser on your BlackBerry Device. The easiest thing to do at this point is just type in that full URL, or it might be easier to send it to your self in an email so you can just click that link.

My mistake...that should have been obvious...I don't know what I was thinking. :oops:
I just love your program & don't really want to do without it. :)
As you'll read below, I took the long way around, but it's installed now, so I'm on my way.

Thanks for your help...I really do appreciate it!

Just an update. I was able to find an external program to download the .jad & .cod files to my
desktop, transfer them to my media card & install the program from there.

This manual download included HanDBaseLibrary-1.cod and HanDBaseLibrary-2.cod files which were not in my
C:\Program Files\HanDBase4\Blackberry\HanDBase\HanDBase4.7.1 folder.

The .alx for the Desktop Manager install, doesn't list them but the .jad does so maybe that's why I couldn't
install it from the card originally. ('907 Invalid COD File not found'). Or maybe not...(Insert shrugging shoulders) ;)
I had the .jad & the other four .cods from the HanDBase4.7.1 folder on my card,
(HanDBase.cod, HanDBaseLibrary.cod, HanDBaseSendMail.cod, HanDBaseService.cod)
but the above two were missing, (HanDBaseLibrary-1.cod & HanDBaseLibrary-2.cod).

Anyway, it's on my device, so tomorrow I'll give it a try... :D
BLees9700

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:18 pm

bbinkerd wrote:And just so you don't spend any more time...

I purchased the software, skipped the release version and went straight to development (heck--I'm a programmer, I live on the wild side). Installed the software on the desktop, and the Blackberry software installed just as smooth as could be wanted. I'm getting my databases transferred over as I type this.

Thanks for the assistance! You're a freakin' genius!!!!

I'm glad you were able to get this installed but I'm still concerned about the redirects. I wasn't seeing the redirects on the device simulator but I was on the desktop. I did make some changes to the site so that the redirects should stop on a desktop browser and at least take you to an error page that is understandable. When you launched the browser on the device did you just select the icon called Browser? I know, from research, that on BlackBerry devices there are actually 3 different browser implementations, depending on if you are going through a company server with BES or if you want the full web or just WAP style browsing.

If you are willing, can you try the OTA download on your device once more, you can just cancel when it prompts you to install the software. I'm curious if the changes I made yesterday fixed the issue of redirecting on the device as well, at least for you. There is a definite possibility that there is a difference between the device and the simulator.

So you know we do offer a 30 day money back guarantee so if you aren't satisfied please let us know.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:22 pm

BLees9700 wrote:David, I typed the info below the line before I saw your above post.

David wrote:

My mistake...that should have been obvious...I don't know what I was thinking. :oops:
I just love your program & don't really want to do without it. :)
As you'll read below, I took the long way around, but it's installed now, so I'm on my way.

Thanks for your help...I really do appreciate it!

Just an update. I was able to find an external program to download the .jad & .cod files to my
desktop, transfer them to my media card & install the program from there.

This manual download included HanDBaseLibrary-1.cod and HanDBaseLibrary-2.cod files which were not in my
C:\Program Files\HanDBase4\Blackberry\HanDBase\HanDBase4.7.1 folder.

The .alx for the Desktop Manager install, doesn't list them but the .jad does so maybe that's why I couldn't
install it from the card originally. ('907 Invalid COD File not found'). Or maybe not...(Insert shrugging shoulders) ;)
I had the .jad & the other four .cods from the HanDBase4.7.1 folder on my card,
(HanDBase.cod, HanDBaseLibrary.cod, HanDBaseSendMail.cod, HanDBaseService.cod)
but the above two were missing, (HanDBaseLibrary-1.cod & HanDBaseLibrary-2.cod).

Anyway, it's on my device, so tomorrow I'll give it a try... :D

I'm glad you were finally able to get this to work. I'm sorry it was such a hassle. As far as the Missing COD files. That's one of the odd things about BlackBerry development, and it makes it a little more difficult for developers. Rather than just one "package" that installs either through the desktop or OTA there are essentially two. When we build the software for Desktop install it bundles all the related COD files into one COD file, eg HanDBaseLibrary-1.cod and HanDBaseLibrary-2.cod are bundled into HanDBaseLibrary.cod. However for OTA distribution there are file size limitations so we actually have to manually split the bundled COD file into it's constituent parts and reference those in the JAD file. That would be why you weren't able to install from the memory card. I actually assumed that since we only provided the link to the JAD file you had just saved that to your computer and tried installing just that file, which other users have done and gotten the missing COD error. I didn't realize you'd copied the COD files that came with the install to your device.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby bbinkerd » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:04 pm

DavidDevaneyJr wrote:I'm glad you were able to get this installed but I'm still concerned about the redirects. I wasn't seeing the redirects on the device simulator but I was on the desktop. I did make some changes to the site so that the redirects should stop on a desktop browser and at least take you to an error page that is understandable. When you launched the browser on the device did you just select the icon called Browser? I know, from research, that on BlackBerry devices there are actually 3 different browser implementations, depending on if you are going through a company server with BES or if you want the full web or just WAP style browsing.

If you are willing, can you try the OTA download on your device once more, you can just cancel when it prompts you to install the software. I'm curious if the changes I made yesterday fixed the issue of redirecting on the device as well, at least for you. There is a definite possibility that there is a difference between the device and the simulator.

So you know we do offer a 30 day money back guarantee so if you aren't satisfied please let us know.

This device is fairly vanilla at this point. I selected the icon that's labeled "Browser" and used the URL I had typed in yesterday to get the file just now per your request, and got "Exceeded maximum redirect attempts to server:..." There are 12 slashes between demo and blackberryota. Don't know if that does anything for you.

Going to the email I used and clicking on the link there produced another HTTP Error 404.
bbinkerd

Postby senglish » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:06 am

Hello David,

I've just bought a crossgrade from Palm to Blackberry and tried to install it on my brand new BlackBerry Bold 9900, but run into the same problems as others. It wouldn't install the .alx file because of a compatibility problem.

Here are my answers to your list of questions:

1. What specific model number is your BlackBerry - Bold 9900 with Software 7.0 Bundle 1465 (v7.0.0.296, Platform 5.0.0.496)
2. What country are you in? UK
3. Who is your cell/mobile provider? T-Mobile
4. What version of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager do you have installed. 6.1.0.36 (released November 7, 2011 (Bundle 38)) - Which doesn't look like the BlackBerry Desktop Manager screenshots in your user manual. I tried going to the "Applications" button and then the "Import files..." button - no joy.
5. Did you have HanDBase installed on your Device prior to upgrading to the 5.0 OS? Brand new device. Previously had HandBase Professional version 4.1 for Palm on my desktop - I deleted the Palm user (bad idea because all my desktop databases got deleted) then managed to install my new HanDBase Professional version 4.1.5d for Blackberry over the original installation, without having to get someone to log onto my work laptop with admin level access.
6. When you manually selected the ALX file did you do so from C:\Program Files\HanDBase4\BlackBerry\ - Yes

I had a look at the other files but I'm not sure what .jad and .cod files to install on this specific device (or how to install them), so I haven't tried any of that yet.

Can you help me, please?
senglish

Postby senglish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:52 am

I also posted my question direct to the support team. Thanks to Brian Houghton for the reply: The current HanDBase for Blackberry installer
doesn't work properly with Blackberry OS 6 or 7, so Brian gave me a link to the HanDBase.jad file to download and install directly onto my Blackberry.

Everything's working fine on my Bold 9900, now.

Thanks.
senglish

Previous

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry