Unable to synch

Discuss HanDBase running on RIM BlackBerry devices and synchronization with a desktop.

Unable to synch

Postby bbinkerd » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:10 pm

I guess I got a little over-exuberant. Even though the HanDBase installed to my Blackberry 9700, there were no sample databases installed with it. Not a big deal. I just converted the 3 databases that I need in order to live to HanDBase, and I can't get them to install onto my device. I followed the instructions (I >>think<<) to set up a user that's tied to the Blackberry. When I attempt to synchronize to get the databases to it, the program appears to connect to the device, then I get two dialogs: #1 shows "There were errors during the sync. Would you like to view the Log now?" Answering OK brings up #2 "Error: Was not able to get the the User Name of the device to store a Sync Log."

I can manually copy the devices to the SD card, but there appears to be no methodology to open a database from the handheld itself. I don't seem to be able to create a database to import CSV values. These wouldn't be important if I could just get the synch to work.

I know that I've done something wrong, so if you could just point out the error of my ways or tell me what page in the documentation to refer to, I'd appreciate it greatly.
bbinkerd

Re: Unable to synch

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear that didn't work out. The sample databases are not installed actually, they are created on the device when you first launch the program. If you launch HanDBase on the BlackBerry do you see anything about creating sample databases? Or do you simply see the sample databases when you launch it?

I believe that initialization has to happen for you to be able to then sync.

You're correct that we can't read databases on the SD card, all databases have to be converted to BlackBerry's own archaic format unfortunately so that's why the conduit has to convert them from PDB files.
dhaupert

Postby bbinkerd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:39 pm

There wasn't a word about initializing anything on the Blackberry. When I open the app, there's absolutely nothing showing as far as sample or any other databases. Is there a way to force this initialization to happen at this point?
bbinkerd

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:02 pm

The only way I know it will happen is upon it's first launch. When you launch the program and get to the first screen, if you select the section for Database and select it, what do you see? Does it show a blank menu, or does it ignore your press?

Try this:

Go to the Options application and then to Advanced, and then Applications. What entries are there that start with HanDBase? Open them up and see what modules are listed and report back the info listed there.

If you were to delete all traces of it and then reboot, upon reinstall it should try again to expand those databases.

Let me know!
dhaupert

Postby bbinkerd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:55 pm

HanDBase application properties shows version 4.1.5.01 installed Jan 25 2010, size 265716 bytes with 4 modules: 1) HanDBase, HanDBaseLibrary, HanDBaseSendMail, and HanDBaseService. I deleted the application, then rebooted the phone.
Back to being connected to my laptop, I get the desktop manager to install the HanDBase from the ALX file, and it reports success. And this time it appears that I have four sample databases: CheckBook v3, EZShop, Movie JukeBox, and Task Time Tracking.
And the acid test - synchronizing. My first database with about 25 rows went over in just a flash. It appears that there's going to be a wait on my second database, since it has around 820 rows. Now comes the bad part: I just checked the phone, and there was an error on it (unfortunately the font is so small I can barely read it. I think that it was App Error 23 and it had a button to reset the device. I'm now rebooting. Is the database too large?

Log from the synch:
01-28-2010 19:42: Synchronizing with User: Raptor
01-28-2010 19:42: HanDBase Plus for Blackberry 4.1.5 Build D6
01-28-2010 19:42: Installing Database: C:\Users\BlaineB\Documents\HanDBase\Raptor\Install\Access_Codes.PDB...
01-28-2010 19:42: Installing Database: C:\Users\BlaineB\Documents\HanDBase\Raptor\Install\Access_Codes.PDB...OK
01-28-2010 19:42: Installing Database: C:\Users\BlaineB\Documents\HanDBase\Raptor\Install\DVD Collection.PDB...
01-28-2010 19:49: Installing Database: C:\Users\BlaineB\Documents\HanDBase\Raptor\Install\DVD Collection.PDB...OK
01-28-2010 19:49: Installing Database: C:\Users\BlaineB\Documents\HanDBase\Raptor\Install\Movie Directors.PDB...
01-28-2010 19:49: Installing Database: C:\Users\BlaineB\Documents\HanDBase\Raptor\Install\Movie Directors.PDB...Error: Unknown Error
01-28-2010 19:49: Error: Unknown Error
01-28-2010 19:49: Sync Complete
01-28-2010 19:49: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The database that it choked on, the Movie Directors is small - 53 KB versus the 1051 KB of DVD Collection. Of the 3 databases I was trying to move over, the Access_Codes.PDB is the only one that actually shows in HanDBase now.

Ideas?
bbinkerd

Postby Longtime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:24 am

bbinkerd wrote:I guess I got a little over-exuberant. Even though the HanDBase installed to my Blackberry 9700, there were no sample databases installed with it. Not a big deal. I just converted the 3 databases that I need in order to live to HanDBase, and I can't get them to install onto my device. I followed the instructions (I >>think<<) to set up a user that's tied to the Blackberry. When I attempt to synchronize to get the databases to it, the program appears to connect to the device, then I get two dialogs: #1 shows "There were errors during the sync. Would you like to view the Log now?" Answering OK brings up #2 "Error: Was not able to get the the User Name of the device to store a Sync Log."
I can manually copy the devices to the SD card, but there appears to be no methodology to open a database from the handheld itself. I don't seem to be able to create a database to import CSV values. These wouldn't be important if I could just get the synch to work.
I know that I've done something wrong, so if you could just point out the error of my ways or tell me what page in the documentation to refer to, I'd appreciate it greatly.

This pretty much describes my first attempt to install HB and sync one of my databases. I am crossing from Palm and Windows Mobile HB to BlackBerry 8530 Curve. I cross-graded and installed the latest HB version on my desktop and got HB to install on my BB. I was asked to create a BB user by your install screen - made up a name. In BlackBerry Sync Settings dialogue I browsed to a database I wanted to install. It does not appear on the BB in HB in the dropdown list of installed databases (which does list the four sample databases created during the install. The sync routine reports there was an error, but that it could not create a log as this user experienced. Any suggestions for the next step? And where is the username of the device? Thanks.
Longtime

Postby Longtime » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:06 am

Second addendum: no need to reply. I simply re-ran the same steps and this type the database sync'd. The log is working fine too. So, I am good to go. Sorry for the messy reports.
Longtime

Return to HanDBase for BlackBerry