Notification RSS Feed

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Notification RSS Feed

Postby uboche » Wed May 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi, I just registered for this forum. I have been following the forum on Yahoo Groups which offers me the possibility to get all the postings of a day in a digest so I don't have to visit the forum each day. Does this facility here offer any kind of RSS feed or other push service?
--
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Re: Notification RSS Feed

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Wed May 20, 2009 2:58 pm

That's a great question. We're looking into how to implement RSS feeds or a daily digest. I've seen both done on boards like this so it must be possible.

I know for each of these subforums you can click the subscribe option at the bottom and get an email every time someone posts to this subforum. Not a once a day type option, but it does match the individual emails setting on the Yahoo group. It's something I have to set for me so I can monitor all the groups!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Wed May 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Hello,

I've implemented an RSS feed option on the forums. We are still looking into a daily digest, that doesn't seem as common with this type of Forum. If the RSS feeds work for you though they are now available.

The way it's implemented is that when you search for RSS feeds you'll see different options, such as "All Forums", "All Topics", "All Posts", etc. If you only want to subscribe to a particular section, eg "HanDBase General Discussion", then open that section and then do a search for RSS Feeds and there will be an option for that particular section.

This is a 3rd party plugin so if you encounter any problems with this please let us know so we can get them fixed ASAP.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby uboche » Thu May 21, 2009 2:27 am

Dave,
thanks for your swift reaction. An RSS feed is fine for me, I like it more than a daily digest. I haven't been able yet to find an URL or some other pointer to the RSS feed in this forum but I'll just be patient and wait for the dust to settle.
--
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Thu May 21, 2009 3:09 pm

The previous ddhsoftwareadmin post was actually by David Devaney, who added support for them. In answer to your question, you should be able to read them in any reader. I tried in Firefox and the page now shows (in the address bar) the little RSS icon. When you click that, you have options to subscribe to various feeds. For example, if you want to subscribe to just the Windows Mobile Classic (Pocket PC) one you could go to that forum and then click and have an option to subscribe to just that feed!

In Google reader, if you put in ddhsoftware.com/forum in the add subscription that works as well, though seems to subscribe you to all topics. Not sure about that one at this point. Maybe someone has some ideas..
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby Golf Nut » Thu May 21, 2009 6:43 pm

Wow I'm finally contributing instead of sucking information out of someone! ;)

Each forum has it's own specific rss feed, for instance this one is

rss.php?f=6

and the iphone forum is

rss.php?f=3

I don't know of a quick way to find the F# which identifies which forum or subforum. I simply went to each forum I wanted to subscribe to, got the RSS feed link from IE and then cut and pasted it into google reader. I now can follow just the forums I want not the entire forum group!

Hope this helps a few of you!
Jen
Golf Nut

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun May 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Hello Jen,

Thanks for posting this information, as I'm sure it will help several users! One other way to make note of the forum ID for the RSS feed is to look in the URL of the forum section you are reading. The URL should contain

f=x

near the end of the URL. The x equals an actual number what you will want to use in your reference for the RSS feed.

Kind regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software

Golf Nut wrote:Wow I'm finally contributing instead of sucking information out of someone! ;)

Each forum has it's own specific rss feed, for instance this one is

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/rss.php?f=6

and the iphone forum is

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/rss.php?f=3

I don't know of a quick way to find the F# which identifies which forum or subforum. I simply went to each forum I wanted to subscribe to, got the RSS feed link from IE and then cut and pasted it into google reader. I now can follow just the forums I want not the entire forum group!

Hope this helps a few of you!
Jen
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Tue May 26, 2009 4:17 pm

As a followup to this, I noticed that the articles shown in RSS readers were not the full posting, so I changed the settings on our forums to make this post the entire posting in the RSS feed. Now, one less click to read the whole posting!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion