[[BETA] Parameter for Windows Mobile v0.90 02/08/10]

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

[[BETA] Parameter for Windows Mobile v0.90 02/08/10]

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:07 pm

Parameter
Version 0.90
BETA
Windows Mobile (Touch Screen only)
Author: Brian Houghton
E-Mail: bahoughton@gmail.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTRODUCTION:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest in Parameter, a MortScript script aimed at expanding the functionality of Windows Mobile. This script enables sending data from one program to another third party program as a parameter. At present, Parameter provides support for the following:

1. Creating a new appointment using the text of the field as the subject of the appointment (built in Calendar program only, at present).
2. Creating a new task using the text of the field as the subject of the task (built in Tasks program only, at present).
3. Creating a new note using the text of the field as the body of the note (built in Notes program only, at present).
4. Opening a web page using the text of the field as the URL (built in Internet Explorer only, at present).
5. Addressing a SMS message using the text of the field as the phone number for the message to be delivered to (built in SMS program only, at present).
6. Dialing a phone number using the built in phone dialer, using the text of the field as the number to dial.
7. Initial support for sending an email using text of the field as the recipient of the email address. I doubt this works properly... once mail opens try tapping one of your email accounts. If it works, a new email will be generated addressed to the selected recipient.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BETA QUALITY SOFTWARE:

Parameter is BETA quality software. I am asking users to test the functionality as outlined in this document and to experiment with it, reporting any bugs and issues that arises. This means that there are bugs possible in the program. I highly recommend that you make a full backup of your handheld's internal memory to a Secure Digital card using Resco's Backup Pro software (http://www.resco.net). I do not work for Resco, but have had luck doing a full system restore using their software. I would also recommend archiving this backup on your computer or FTP server. Additionally, do not inititially use Parameter with any data that is highy sensitive / important data that you cannot afford to lose due to possible data corruption. If you cannot agree to this, please wait to use until a later, non-beta version is released.

You use this at your own risk. I am NOT responsible for any data loss of any type. I am also not responsible if your handheld starts making toast or asking you to talk to it. (Are you reading this?)

LICENSE:

Parameter is comprised of two components. The first is MortScript. This is a freeware program. More information can be found about it here: http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?modul ... ction=view The second is the actual Parameter script.

The MortScript components, along with the Parameter script, are freely distributable. Furthermore, the Parameter source is available for your viewing and usage. You may view it, use it as a learning tool or modify it for your own needs. Please note that you may not modify it and then distribute the script as your own version of Parameter. Additionally, I am not creating this to teach users about MortScript. You can learn by studying the script, but I won't be providing any help with syntax, etc. There is plenty of information on this at MortScript's home. You may submit recommended changes to me that I will consider to integrate into release versions.

If you enjoy using the software or find it useful, I would simply appreciate a kind word in an email (see contact information above (use support format detailed below)).

INSTALLATION:

1. Download both CAB files to your Pocket PC.
2. Run the MortScript CAB file first. Install this to main memory.
4. Run the Parameter CAB file second. Install this to main memory.

UNINSTALLATION:

Each of the components can be uninstalled via the Settings -> System -> Remove Programs option on your device.

USAGE:

1. Launch HanDBase.
2. Open the Parameter_Example database.
3. Open the first record.
4. Highlight one of the field's data and select Start Menu / Parameter.
5. Choose the action you want to complete.
6. Click OK.
7. Wait while Parameter launches the program, initiates the command and passes the variable. This may be instantaneous or may take a second or two.
8. You may also want to bind the Parameter shortcut to a hard button on your device for easier access.
9. Furthermore, the real beauty of Parameter is that you can use it with any third party or built in program that contains text (or it *should* work).

SUPPORT:

Please direct post all comments, questions, etc to this forum thread.
Please DO NOT email DDH Software's support as this is not an official DDH Software project. If you do, I will kindly respond asking you to post to the forum.
When posting, please post in the following format:

SUBJECT: a brief description of issue, etc.

HANDHELD MODEL:
VERSION OF WINDOWS MOBILE:
STOCK ROM OR COOKED:
IS MORTSCRIPT INSTALLED TO INTERNAL MEMORY?
IS PARAMETER INSTALLED TO INTERNAL MEMORY?
DESCRIPTION OF ISSUE:
STEPS TO REPRODUCE ISSUE (PLEASE BE EXACT):

For ease of reporting, please place the forum post responses in the following format:

Subject: [Bug Report, Feature Request, Comment, Suggestion, Thanks, Rant, etc] Only enter one, please, followed by a *short* description of the issue.

You can copy / paste the following into the body of your post:

[Handheld Model]:
[Version of Windows Mobile]:
[Cooked or Stock]:
[MortScript Installed]: Y/N
[Parameter Installed (Internal Memory)]: Y/N

[Description of Issue]:

[Steps to Reproduce Issue]:
Attachments
parameter_beta090_020810.zip
Parameter BETA 0.90
02/08/10
(207.94 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Brian_Houghton

[Parameter Feature Requests]

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Parameter Feature Requests

Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

[Parameter Bugs / Known Issues]

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Parameter Bugs/Known Issues

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

[Parameter Change Log]

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Parameter Change Log

1. 02/08/10, v 0.90 BETA - Initial Public Release
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

[Parameter... Reserved for Future Use]

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Parameter... For Anything I Forgot

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Re: [[BETA] Parameter for Windows Mobile v0.90 02/08/10]

Postby gsman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi Brian:
I am using a stock Samsung Epix with WM6.1 - I understand a WM6.5 upgrade is due out in February - Should I anticipate any issues?
But for the current - everything seems to perform in my brief 20 minute install and quick usage.....
2 things:
1. If I Sweep / HighLight a phone number - it does not seem to catch.... However when I "Select All" it works as you said it would.
2. This may be more of a Handbase question. Can I make a button on a form to launch Parameter - I did not see an "Action" like that.
Gary
gsman

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:26 am

Hello Gary,

Thanks for giving Parameter a spin on your Epix. I've noticed that when I select text going from left to right with my stylus, it works. If I select going from right to left, nothing seems to get copied. Can you check this for me on your phone and let me know the results? Also, are you using a custom form or a plain edit record screen?

Regarding activating Parameter via a button on a form, I'm working on this. I had it working at one point, and the foolishly did something to "break" it, causing it to not work. I'm continuing to work on trying to figure it out. Once I do, I'll definitely update the thread here.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
Brian Houghton
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby gsman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:38 pm

I am using both - custom forms - and the plain default...
On a custom form sweeping left to right worked for me..... but much easier to "select all" using the Epix finger pad.
A few times the program did hang on dialing - The screen was stuck at the Parameter Screen although I believe the title bar said "Default Ime" - I had to "End Task" then gave it another go and it worked. This has happened a few times.
gsman

Postby gsman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Update
I believe the "Default Ime" hang is when I use the "OK" button on my Epix - If I click the "OK" on screen it does not hang
gsman

Postby gsman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Brian et al:
Well after months of using Parameter most succesfully - I went and upgraded my Epix to WM6.5 - so far HandBase is good..... However - Parameter is not. - It seems as when I go to the Parameter program it seems to loose the "selection" -
1. I highlight
2. I go directly to Parameter (while highlited, Start then Parameter - and yes I do have Parameter at the top of my window)
3. It will go to my dialing window - but never fills in - it just stays on my last dialed contact and and then opens the last call - nothing else.

I have tried not only just selecting - but copying the selection to clipboard - still N/G.
Has there been an update? or is there some workaround?
I know you were working on a forms button to go to Parameter - this or any other suggestions?
Gary
gsman

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional