Windows Phone 7

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Windows Phone 7

Postby griffinr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 am

Dave,

I just read that Windows Phone 7 due out at the end of the year won’t run any of the current software. Are you planning on providing an upgrade that will run on WP7?

Thanks,
Bob
griffinr

Re: Windows Phone 7

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:43 am

Hi there,

Hope you don't mind- I moved your topic to the relevant category here. In fact, there has already been some discussion on this in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=645

To summarize- from all we know at this point, HanDBase for Windows mobile will not be compatible in any way with Windows Phone Series 7. Unfortunately they have broken off with all traditional development and backwards compatibility so that any program that runs on Windows Phone Series 7 will need to be written from scratch using their new development tools and languages. That means a version of HanDBase for this new series of devices would have to be written from the ground up. We'll see what our options and likelihood of doing that is as time progresses and more is known.

Thanks for your interest!
dhaupert

Postby griffinr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks Dave,

That's a lot to expect from developers as many are well into developing for Android and the iPhone.

Take care,

Bob
griffinr

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Hey Bob,

Tell me about it! Add to that people who want Palm WebOS compatibility, the next Nokia OS (S60) coming soon, etc. It seems it's in fashion to wipe the slate clean because it attracts the attention of new buyers. But I just don't see why they can't accomplish both!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional