Calculate total just for today, not any other days

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Calculate total just for today, not any other days

Postby DV_Boyz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 am

Hello. I have created a simple database. Here is what I have so far…

Field 1: Date (time record added)
Field 2: User inputted integer (in my case, a number from 0 to 999)
Field 3: Calculated field that is a running total of Field 2

Ok, so far it works great. I get a running total that shows up in my form.

However, I would like the running total to only calculate the sum of field 2 for today (current Palm system date), not any other days. Is this possible?

Another acceptable option would be to calculate the total for the day of the last record added (which would be the current day) and this would have the same effect.

Or if neither option is possible, then choosing the date to be calculated via a user inputted date would be ok, although I really would like it to be automatic.

If anyone has a solution, could you reply with the actual formula? Here is what I have so far:

(P3+F2)|

Thanks in advance :)

Dan
DV_Boyz

Re: Calculate total just for today, not any other days

Postby dhaupert » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi Dan,

It's pretty easy to create a view that is set to only show the records for today. Since v4.0, you can specify 'Today' as a date filter option so it's always up to date. Wouldn't it be easier to just create view to show today and use this rather than coming up with a crazy set of calculations and conditional fields to make this a possibility?

I am not sure it would even be possible, but if it's something you need aside from the view above, I'm sure we could all explore this together!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion